exartemarte

Touch-screen and Pimoroni Case

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Ok, if you mount the official touch-screen in the Pimoroni case it's upside-down. It's simple enough to rotate the image but you're still looking at the screen from the wrong angle, which considerably reduces the brightness. Some of us out here might regard this as a cock-up. I imagine there will have been animated discussions around the issue.

To my inexpert eye it looks as though a new set of legs for the case might solve the problem, hopefully provided on an exchange basis to those who purchased the original kit. In the meantime, I notice that if you prop up the front by about an inch (25mm) it actually works quite well. I have made this arrangement semi-permanent using traditional engineering materials (double-sided adhesive, a piece of credit card and gaffer tape). This solves the problem of viewing from the wrong angle, with the incidental ergonomic benefit that the screen is more or less perpendicular to the line of sight:

I notice that Farnell does an enclosure from Multicomp. I've only seen pictures – I don't actually have one – but it seems to solve the problems. It fully encloses the works, doesn't have legs obstructing access to the USB ports, sits at a sensible angle and can be used either way up. Unfortunately it's more than twice the price of the Pimoroni one.

JimmyN

Re: Touch-screen and Pimoroni Case

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:25 pm

I think @gadgetoid (Pimoroni) is probably whirling devilishly at this very moment coming up with solution.

A problem that occurs when "right side up" it that the microUSB power and the audio connector are then at the bottom, as well as the HDMI if you're wanting the second screen, so it doesn't provide much cable bending space without raising it higher off the desktop/table.

Hove

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 pm

exartemarte wrote: I notice that Farnell does an enclosure from Multicomp. I've only seen pictures – I don't actually have one – but it seems to solve the problems. It fully encloses the works, doesn't have legs obstructing access to the USB ports, sits at a sensible angle and can be used either way up. Unfortunately it's more than twice the price of the Pimoroni one.
I bought the multicomp case after having the same opinion as you about the Pimoroni case. The multicomp case is IMHO expensive trash. It's not stable - using the touch screen pushes it over, and it covers most of the power sockets making it nigh on impossible to actually connect the display board to the RPi by any of the 'approved' methods. Both got binned and I now use on of these which is perfect but expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010XD78AI
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

exartemarte

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:27 pm

JimmyN wrote:A problem that occurs when "right side up" it that the microUSB power and the audio connector are then at the bottom, as well as the HDMI if you're wanting the second screen, so it doesn't provide much cable bending space without raising it higher off the desktop/table.
I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of Pimoroni to design reversible legs, then you could have it whichever way up you choose. And if the screen is perpendicular to the line of sight, which seems to me a sensible arrangement anyway, then it doesn't actually matter which way up it is.
Hove wrote:The multicomp case is IMHO expensive trash. It's not stable - using the touch screen pushes it over, and it covers most of the power sockets making it nigh on impossible to actually connect the display board to the RPi by any of the 'approved' methods. Both got binned and I now use on of these which is perfect but expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010XD78AI
Thanks for the heads-up on the Multicomp case. The Amazon stand looks interesting: is the space between the verticals enough to accommodate a B+, or are you using an A+?

DocWu

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:27 pm

I came across this post looking for a solution to this exact set of conditions - 7-in. touchscreen and Pimoroni case. How often does that happen!?!

While a simple solution might be to redesign the legs, I kind of like the power and HDMI connectors facing up.

So, how about a software solution? I found how to flip the screen around easily, but am still looking for a way to invert the touch part of it. Any tips?

Paul Webster

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:33 pm

If you used display_rotate to get around the problem then switch it to lcd_rotate and you should find that both the screen and touch are rotated.
Last edited by Paul Webster on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DocWu

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Paul Webster wrote:If you used display_rotate to get around the problem then swiyptch it to lcd_rotate and you should find that both the screen and touch are rotated.
Thanks. I eventually found that same advice in another post and changed /boot/config.txt by adding lcd_rotate=2 and removed the display_rotate line. Working fine now!

Hove

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 am

JimmyN wrote: Thanks for the heads-up on the Multicomp case. The Amazon stand looks interesting: is the space between the verticals enough to accommodate a B+, or are you using an A+?
I've used mine with a B2 and B+
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

jfn

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Screen3.jpg
ModMyPi modular case mounted
Screen3.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
Screen2.jpg
Slot cut on final layer of case
Screen2.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
screen1.jpg
Small lip at top of screen
screen1.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
If you cut a slot in the final layer of the Pimoroni case and then fit it the other way round you can then mount the screen the correct way up with the feet mounted correctly. This does leave a small lip on the mount of around 1.5mm at the top of the case but i don't find it too objectionable. Mounting this way up does give a better viewing angle than the software rotate way.

To have the HDMI & power connectors on top I mounted the Pi in a ModMyPi modular case (discard lid) using two diagonal screws to mount the Pi and drilling out the other two diagonal holes and used long 2.5mm bolts to the mounts on the display. This holds the mechanism securely, having to twist the ribbon cable when mounting on the Pi is a bit fiddly but not too difficult.

JimmyN

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Actually I'm kind of conflicted now on which way I like it best. I was intending to build another case so I could turn it "right side up". But after using it for a while I've noticed my eye line is usually below the center of the screen, rather than above, which works best when it's "upside down". Now I'm not sure if I want to flip it over or not, what a dilemma.

gadgetoid

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:03 pm

A new case design is in the works but I don't have a firm ETA yet. It has to take into account the fact that some touch screens are now being supplied assembled- so it needs to be possible to build the case around those, too.

I'll continue to use mine ports up, the way the good lord intended.

exartemarte

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:46 pm

JimmyN wrote:Actually I'm kind of conflicted now on which way I like it best. I was intending to build another case so I could turn it "right side up". But after using it for a while I've noticed my eye line is usually below the center of the screen, rather than above, which works best when it's "upside down". Now I'm not sure if I want to flip it over or not, what a dilemma.
If it ain't broke ...

I'm quite happy with my upside-down screen - whichever way up it was I would want the front lifting so as to be perpendicular to the eye-line. I'd like to come up with something a bit more permanent than credit card and gaffer tape, though. Maybe leg extensions glued or screwed to the Pimoroni legs.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”