fjordan2020

Touch was working after some long time stopped working

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Hello,

I have an official 7in touchscreen with Raspberry 3B and Raspbian; I assembled it about 2 years ago and it worked for a long time.

Then I left it unused for about 6 months.

Yesterday I turned it on again and the touch is not working anymore (the display still works ok).

Any ideas about what went wrong and what could I do to try to fix it?

Note: lsmod | grep -i FT shows rpi_ft5406... so I assume the touch controller is connected and working.

fjordan2020

Re: Touch was working after some long time stopped working

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 am

PS: Just forgot to say that it also did not work with the new Raspberry OS and that it is assembled in a case and stayed upright during the “shelf” period.

alanmalk

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Going to post a "Me Too" - with hope that someone can help.

Same setup as the OP. Touch was working for a few years but now only a fraction of the screen responds. There are a couple of "dead" areas that extend from left to right across the screen, about 1 inch high.

No changes to the code or pi system, just ignored the unit for a few months.

I pulled and re-seated the ribbon cable from screen to pi - both ends. Wiggled the very fragile looking brown ribbon that goes from front to the backside of the screen. I actually think this movement of ribbons made matters worse - getting a bad feeling.

knight_parn

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:52 am

Same issue here.

The screen was bought back in 2016 and has been working fine for a long time. It was left un-used for about 2 months until yesterday. Now only the top 1/3 of the display works with the touch. I re-seated the ribbon cables but it didn't help. I also checked the front and back surface of the display control board, but no visible damage at all. I even swapped the rpi 4B 4GB with an old rpi 3B+ thinking the DSI port on the 4B might be broken, but the result remained the same.

Quchi

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Same here
2 of them - stopped detecting large areas
1 no touch, the other only on (top right) a corner

Dussler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am

Same here.

Is there a solutions right now?

Dussler

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:30 am

Sorry for bothering, but is there a chance to get the touch working again?

This is the original Pi display! Is there no statement from the producer?

Thx

captainsemtex

Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:22 am

:( Another ME TOO.

My original 7" display has been in a Smarti Pi Touch case since purchase and previously worked but has been unused for a couple of years.
I am using it with a Pi3B and a 2.5A supply with the USB Y cable. The display itself works perfectly, but no touch... and there are no rainbow low power warnings.

I followed the tests at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... hooting.md.

When I enter:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i ft5406
there is *no* result. This is an obvious problem but it doesn't say anywhere how to fix this!?!

Also, when I enter:

cat /proc/cmdline | grep bcm2708_fb
I correctly get fbheight = 480 and fbwidth = 800.

But when I open Raspberry Pi Configuration and go to the Display tab and click "Set Resolution", it shows the default is 720x480 and there is no 800x480 option.

I am running the latest Raspbian and latest updates.

PeterB2

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 pm

And another ME TOO.

Picked up the display after it's sat on the shelf a long time.

Touch is recognised in a very limited way, ie. pointer arrow appears in whole or part around the edge of the display, including in the graphical menu bar across the top. But no response within the main window. Response to mouse input is fine.

Updated and tested per troubleshooting instructions in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... hooting.md.

dmesg | grep -i ft5406
and

cat /proc/cmdline | grep bcm2708_fb
return correct/expected response.

Dussler

Mon May 03, 2021 1:53 pm

And again the question to the producer: Was this planned obsolescence?

An answer would be nice from producer!!!

I got an answer right now: Do not buy this touchdisplay!

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 03, 2021 5:33 pm

The kernel module for the touchscreen was renamed from ft5406 to raspberrypi-ts when they upstreamed it to the mainline kernel.
I've raised an issue on the docs repo to get the documentation updated.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Ian 315

Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Just discovered this thread, same thing as others. Not used for some time, not changed anything, powered up and the touch function only works round the bottom and sides of the screen. Is there any way forward on this?

OndrejPopp

Sun May 09, 2021 1:02 am

Hello,
I am having a similar issue with my Raspberry 4B on Fedora 34. But in my case, or in the Fedora 34 case, the screen either works perfectly or not at all. As a matter of fact it stops working after the dnf update, (which is the Redhat package manager), so after dnf update of the initial install of the Fedora 34 Beta raw image. And it does not work anymore with the official Fedora 34 release at this time of writing, 9 May 2021.

However I found out that it is possible to restore this functionality by copying back some, for the Rpi 4, the /boot/efi/*rpi-4-b*" files from the Fedora 34 Beta raw install image.
You can read all about it in the following bugreport I filed on bugzilla.redhat.com,
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1954182

And here is a link to the Fedora 34 Beta raw image, that contains the /boot/efi/files where the touch screen still works perfectly.
https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/dl. ... h64.raw.xz

However, at this moment, nobody from Fedora has responded to this bugreport, and it has gotten an "Orphan status" whatever that means...
And so, I was Googling to figure out where these /boot/efi files are actually coming from, and so the Raspberry foundation would be a good point to start, and so I found this documentation,
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _folder.md

It appears that the situation is a bit different under Raspbian, and I have never used it, but apparently according to the above link, there is only a /boot folder and not the /boot/efi folder. The documentation mentions the /boot as the first partition in vfat format, and so that is, on Fedora the efi partition mounted under /boot which is on Fedora the second partition with an ext4 filesystem on it.

And so then I found this thread in this forum, and I saw several "Me too" replies, and so I thought to add this message here may that be useful to you. Chances are that you can fix your touch screens too by restoring some /boot files back from a binary image where it did still work and maybe the Fedora 34 Beta binaries may work for you as well. At this moment I still don't know where these files are originally coming from although now I learnt that some of those, the device tree files are being compiled.

One thing that appears to be happening here as well is that the touch screen function stops working after a certain update... So, why is that?

In any case, this is what I have figured out about this may it be useful to you, while I would like to know for myself where these files are originally coming from, considering the Fedora "Orphan status" and all that...

Ondrej
Last edited by OndrejPopp on Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”