itsalljustaride

Display Hit or Miss At Power On When Using External Power Supply

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Hello,

I have run into an intermittent issue with the 7" RPi screen whereby the unit will sometimes not be recognized at startup if it is powered using the micro-usb and both the Pi and the Screen are powered on at the same moment (ie if power supply has on/off for both). I assume this is because the screen may take a second or so to fully power on perhaps? And in the interim it goes unrecognized by the Pi?

I have tried setting a boot_delay of up to 8 seconds in the config, but that only seems to have made it a little less often, but hasn't eliminated it completely.

The problem goes away if I power the unit via the GPIO, but my setup makes this less than optimal due to power needs.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

alphanumeric

Re: Display Hit or Miss At Power On When Using External Power Supply

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 pm

I run my Pi and Pi Foundation Screen from the same power source. No on off switch, I just plug it in. No such issue here. Mine is 5V 10A Power supply. What is the max current rating of your supply?

itsalljustaride

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:25 pm

The supply is a combo USB and AC outlet (I'm using the USB port), like such:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0 ... UTF8&psc=1

Lists specs as "USB Electrical Parameter: DC 5V, 1.0 AMP"

Burngate

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:25 pm

The screen takes 400mA according to https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md so a 1A psu isn't going to be able to cope, particularly at power-on when both Pi & screen are going to demand extra current.

itsalljustaride

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:53 pm

If the display is being powered separately shouldn't 1A be more than enough for 400mA? The Pi is on the regular wall-wart 2.5amp PSU.

alphanumeric

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:15 pm

The way the first post is worded, it sounded to me like they were both powered by the same power supply. I see what your doing now. The one connected to the screen must be taking longer to turn on? I don't have a definite answer for you though, other than you need a better arrangement. Two official Pi power packs plugged into a power bare that has an on off switch should work OK. One powering the Pi and one powering the display.

itsalljustaride

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm considering switching out the 2.5A Pi plug, getting a 3.0 or 3.5A one, and going back to powering both the Pi and the Screen via one connection over GPIO.

Any thoughts on these?:

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Micro- ... +micro+usb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N336XEU/re ... 67661&sr=1

Thanks.

alphanumeric

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:02 am

Instead of using the GPIO for power you could use something like this, https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/spli ... wer-cable It's basically what I'm doing now, except I made my own cable.

itsalljustaride

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

As an update to this, I bought the PWR+ 3.5A unit, and saw no improvement with display powered from GPIO. I even removed some LEDs I had hooked up to the GPIO and was still getting low-power indicator icon on the display unit. Gonna try the Y-cable solution.

alphanumeric

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I do believe if you power via the Pi's GPIO that's after the poly fuse? I can't remember what that's restricted too though current wise?

itsalljustaride

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:54 pm

*Update* I tried the splitter on both the PWR+ 3.5 amp brick and the other original 2.5 amp one from Canakit.

Oddly, PWR+ brick still showed low power warning icon every few seconds.

Canakit works fine after boot, but does show low-power once during bootup. After full boot it's fine though.

Weeeeird...

alphanumeric

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 pm

The lightning bolt flashing indicates a low voltage condition. Below 4.65 volts I believe. High current draw though thin gauge wire will result in a voltage drop across the power cord. Some Pi power supplies are rated at 5.1 or 5.2 Volts to counter act this. And have nice tick beefy wires.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”