PeterO

It fell apart !

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:35 am

Yesterday I took my official display out of it's box for the first time in a while, and it just fell to bits in my hand :o :shock:

Every layer has come unglued and the touch screen fell off.

Is there a repair or replacement program for this ?

PeterO :cry:

Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: It fell apart !

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 am

PeterO wrote:
Yesterday I took my official display out of it's box for the first time in a while, and it just fell to bits in my hand :o :shock:

You should talk to the supplier you got it from. Not heard of this, sounds like the glue failed. I'll check in office on Monday to see what's happening.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

jahboater

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:55 am

Its because of the colour of the bezel :)

PeterO

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:03 pm

jahboater wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:55 am
Its because of the colour of the bezel :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PeterO
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

PeterO

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:18 pm

jamesh wrote:
You should talk to the supplier you got it from. Not heard of this, sounds like the glue failed. I'll check in office on Monday to see what's happening.
Did you find out anything ?

PeterO

hansotten

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:00 pm

My first generation display also started to have shifting layers, the acryl simple casing did not prevent it, in fact contributed to the problem.

I changed it to a case which embedded the display on all sides, preventing the shifting, it holds quite well now.

[Not the first time I read about these problems with the first batches of the display.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 pm

It's a know issue. My bezel slowly slid down over time. It actually obscured the top of the display. I put brackets under it and slowly wedged it back up over a couple of months. It's back to its original position but I have some residue from the bonding agent across the bottom of my display. It now has a smudged appearance with no way to remove it. The bonding agent never actually hardens, it stays putty like. Sort of like the goop that holds your car windshield in. Without a frame the bezel slowly slides down due to gravity. It's so slow its almost imperceptible. Eventually it moves enough to block part of the screen under it, and that's when you notice somethings not right. By the time I noticed what was happening I was way past any return date. Complaints here were basically ignored. That's the way it seemed to me anyway. I'm still using my display, but its very disappointing to see the mess left over across the bottom. I would have to completely remove the bezel, clean all the goop off, then apply new stuff. Assuming I can figure out what that goop actually is? And not damage the touch overlay etc in the process. First I've heard of it coming apart while still in the box though?

bensimmo

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:46 pm

I don't have one, but is that the touch screen in the bit now not attached.

I would look at some of the doubled sided sticky foam we use for tablets and phones to attached the screen on.

It also makes it easy to remove as you just use a hairdryer to warm the area and it is easier to detach.

Once large advantage of not having the digitiser bonded to the LCD display.

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:28 pm

jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:

Any further info on this? Talking to the supplier is pretty well useless. For most of use this issue happens long after the 30 day return period is over. They advise contacting the Pi foundation.

PeterO

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Mine is now held together with multiple blobs of hot glue around the outside edges of the layers.
Ugly but effective.
PeterO

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:11 pm

PeterO wrote:
Mine is now held together with multiple blobs of hot glue around the outside edges of the layers.
Ugly but effective.
PeterO
Touch working?

PeterO

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:11 pm
PeterO wrote:
Ugly but effective.
PeterO
Touch working?
Yes.
PeterO

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Good to hear. Mine just has the bezel propped up from underneath so it can't slowly slide down again. And my screen is tilted back at about 30 degrees.

alphanumeric

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:48 pm

So what happened to the " I'll check in the office on Monday to see what's happening." ???

noggin

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Exactly the same thing has happened to mine. It all fell apart when I moved it recently.

Bit annoying to be honest...

alphanumeric

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 am

Still wondering what the official word is on this?
Last edited by alphanumeric on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PiGraham

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am

also had the front face touch layer shift sideways after I left it stored on edge. The glue is obviously not up to the job.

PeterO

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Still wondering what the office word is on this?
"office word" ? I think you've been using too many M$ products :-) "Official Word" is what you mean !

PeterO

alphanumeric

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 am

PeterO wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:
"office word" ? I think you've been using too many M$ products :-) "Official Word" is what you mean !

PeterO
Spell check strikes again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;) Fixed.

PiGraham

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 am
PeterO wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:

PeterO
Spell check strikes again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;) Fixed.
I though "office word" must be the word from the office that James mentioned ;) :
jamesh wrote:

il_diavolo

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm

The problem seems to be that the adhesive used suffers from creep when stressed. Some fixings for cases designed for the screen work by holding the back of the glass bezel in tension against a plastic backing frame. This tension can be adjusted by slackening the fixing screws.
I purchased one the earliest screens about two years ago and I had exactly this problem using a Pimoroni layered case. I didn't use the screen for nearly a year after purchase other than to check it was working and kept it in the original packaging. When I eventually mounted it in (on?) the case I was shocked to find that it had delaminated after about a week.
I contacted the supplier and they replaced the screen immediately, excellent service. I have now modified the case so that no tension is used in the fixing and have had no problems with the replacement screen at all.

alphanumeric

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Yeah, mine was originally mounted with just four screws in the mounting holes in back, to an aluminum beam frame.. And nothing but air around the bezel. I didn't know it was an issue until too late. Over time gravity pulled the bezel down. I now have two brackets with rubber bumpers mounted under the bezel holing it up so it can't creep down again.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”