rlatinov

USB Device Driver Compatibility

Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Hello,

I have a working minimal USB Driver for the Raspberry Pi 1 on a bare metal environment. I am now working on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Will the USB driver that I have for the Pi 1 work on the Pi 3 B+? Or will I have to modify or rewrite it? The documentation for the new Pi is very sparse and I couldn't find much information regarding what type of USB HCD is on-board.

Thank you.

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: USB Device Driver Compatibility

Tue May 29, 2018 7:57 pm

[ Wrong forum board, really - Device Tree is a specific way of describing the hardware in a system - but I'll let you off ]

The USB Host Controller interface in 3B+, which is based on a BCM2837B0, is exactly the same as the one in all of the Pis - the Synopsys DWC OTG controller.

rlatinov

Tue May 29, 2018 8:12 pm

PhilE,

Thank you for the response.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum board, but you seem to be the most knowledgeable and forum-attentive person on this site. That said, I know you are most active on the Device Tree forum. I would private message you instead, but RPi Forums is discontinuing that feature within the next few days.

Nonetheless, someone could have their question answered if posts like these are kept alive. Contrarily, my questions have not been answered when posted on other (topic-appropriate) forums. If there is a better way that I can contact you, please let me know.

PhilE

Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

I don't think I fit your description, but I can't fault your strategy - as I said, I'll let you off, you are excused.

A compromise for the future would be to post in a more appropriate place and, if you don't get a response after a while, send a brief email to [email protected] pointing me at the post.

Return to “Device Tree”