queseuq

Two drivers using same gpio pin

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 pm

I've been digging around the kernel a bit to see if I can work this out but I thought it would be quicker to post the question here.

Basically I want to combine the gpio-poweroff-overlay and gpio-shutdown-overlay into a single overlay that does both tasks on the same pin. This seems feasible in theory as the gpio-poweroff driver allows the pin to the set as in input until shutdown, however both drivers (gpio-poweroff and gpio-keys) seem to use different methods to get their gpio_desc (although they both include gpio/consumer.h)

My question is, if I pass the same gpio pin to both, will they still be able to get a gpio_desc and 'just work' or can only one driver hold a gpio_desc for a pin?

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Two drivers using same gpio pin

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

Attempting to use the same GPIO from multiple drivers looks like it will fail. The various gpio_* API calls, including devm_gpiod_get and devm_fwnode_get_gpiod_from_child, go through gpiod_request that claims the descriptor, failing eith -EBUSY if it has already been claimed.

Assuming you could share the pin at the software level, how were you going to arrange that pushing the switch doesn't trigger a premature power-off? Are you really that short of pins to warrant the complexity?

PiGraham

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 am

Clueless comment - Could you create one driver that does both functions and sorts out which internally?

queseuq

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks for the reply, I thought that might be the case but want to check just in case.
PhilE wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am
Assuming you could share the pin at the software level, how were you going to arrange that pushing the switch doesn't trigger a premature power-off? Are you really that short of pins to warrant the complexity?
I'm using this circuit as a power controller -> http://www.mosaic-industries.com/embedd ... controller

It's designed such that a single button can control power on, shutdown and a hard power off and works off a single pin. I've recently found references to the LTC2951-1 in the forum which does something similar but I don't think it comes in a though hole package, and that's as far as my soldering skills go.

Ah well, back to the drawing board I guess!

PhilE

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am

That's not a clueless comment, it's a sensible question. Yes you could, but it goes against the Linux philosophy of doing one thing and doing it well. Better would be to create a GPIO sharing driver that claims one (or more) GPIOs and presents them as a number of distinct GPIOs, managing the mode switches internally.

PiGraham

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

PhilE wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am
That's not a clueless comment, it's a sensible question. Yes you could, but it goes against the Linux philosophy of doing one thing and doing it well. Better would be to create a GPIO sharing driver that claims one (or more) GPIOs and presents them as a number of distinct GPIOs, managing the mode switches internally.
Thanks.
I meant clueless about the detail of DT and these drivers.

On the philosophical point, you could look at it as one thing - power control, in one driver on one pin, rather than two drivers on two pins. I see a certain elegant efficiency to it.

PhilE

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 am

I suppose one could minimise the duplication of effort by getting the gpio-poweroff driver to advertise itself as a tiny gpio controller, sharing its own gpio as if it were a different gpio.

queseuq

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 pm

PhilE wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 am
I suppose one could minimise the duplication of effort by getting the gpio-poweroff driver to advertise itself as a tiny gpio controller, sharing its own gpio as if it were a different gpio.
This sounds interesting but a bit beyond me unfortunately. I presume I'd have to do something more that just add 'gpio_controller' to the overlay node :P

PhilE

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm

This sounds interesting but a bit beyond me unfortunately. I presume I'd have to do something more that just add 'gpio_controller' to the overlay node :P
That would be part of the solution, but yes, somebody would have to extend the gpio-poweroff driver to implement the GPIO pass-through interface.

queseuq

Sat May 12, 2018 7:51 pm

For anyone interested in this, I found that I could export the pin directly from the kernel driver. I can then (hopefully) use a userspace daemon to monitor it's state. I've opened a pull request (https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/2552) to add this functionality upstream.

PhilE

Sun May 13, 2018 7:06 pm

I've merged the PR, so the updated driver and overlay will be in the next firmware release.

Return to “Device Tree”