aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: RPi 3 missing from dt-blob.dts

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:45 pm

6by9 wrote:@PhilE - this is a DPI display aBUGSworstnightmare is trying to configure, not vga666. It needs GPIOs 0&1 as alt2 as well as. And he's trying to use RGB888 mode, whilst vga66 and Adafruit Kippah use RGB666, so needs GPIOs 0-27 all on alt2.

@aBUGSworstnightmare: The first thing to sort is getting the pin setup right. The output from raspi-gpio says your dt-blob.bin isn't doing what you want as the pins are still set as INPUT, and UART0 is still on pins 14&15. Until those all read the relevant alt2 function then you really won't get any output. I've failed so far to get DPI to work on Pi3 either, but I was mainly trying to do it via a dtoverlay (failed to do that on a Pi2 too). I'll try again tonight to get DPI working on Pi3 via dt-blob.bin.
The device tree compiler doesn't give me any output so it's hard to tell if compiling the blob failed.
I also would expect that GPIO get configured as per blob so all pins should be alt2 (DPI).
QUESTION: Is DPI still available in this SOC? Maybe some of the I/O don't allow to configure drive strength and compilation fails due to this.

Will try again tomorrow.

P.s.: I followed the same procedures/steps that I used for B+ and 2; 24-bit DPI is working flawlessly there.

EDIT: will compile a new blob tomorrow and then check the output with

Code: Select all

dtc -I dtb -O dts -o dt-blob_decom.dts /boot/dt-blob.bin  
Ans post the result here. Maybe this will give us an idea on the problem.
If the blob is o.k. I would say the FW is the root cause.

tvjon

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:21 pm

PhilE wrote:@tvjon The next firmware release adds a dtparam for enabling and disabling uart1. It is called (cryptically) "uart1", and in your case you would say:

dtparam=uart1=off
That won't have the side-effect of disabling Bluetooth.
Thank you Phil.

I've just updated to this afternoon's release,

Initially had just:

dtparam=uart1=off

but the problem blue vga666 screen is still present, & raspi-gpio get of course confirms that.

Uncommenting

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt-overlay

restores a proper vga666 screen.

However,

hcitool dev

Just responds with an empty Devices:

So, do I need to include some additional statements in config.txt to restore bluetooth?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 pm

tvjon wrote:
PhilE wrote:@tvjon The next firmware release adds a dtparam for enabling and disabling uart1. It is called (cryptically) "uart1", and in your case you would say:

dtparam=uart1=off
That won't have the side-effect of disabling Bluetooth.
Thank you Phil.

I've just updated to this afternoon's release,

Initially had just:

dtparam=uart1=off

but the problem blue vga666 screen is still present, & raspi-gpio get of course confirms that.

Uncommenting

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt-overlay

restores a proper vga666 screen.

However,

hcitool dev

Just responds with an empty Devices:

So, do I need to include some additional statements in config.txt to restore bluetooth?
There wasn't a release this afternoon. rpi-update to anything after 38c3dd9should have the uart1=off parameter.
I had vga666 working fine on Wednesday night on a Pi3 with (from memory):

dtparam=uart1=off
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=16
to give me 1024x768 out. I didn't check Bluetooth, but it should still have been there.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

6by9

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:44 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:The device tree compiler doesn't give me any output so it's hard to tell if compiling the blob failed.
I also would expect that GPIO get configured as per blob so all pins should be alt2 (DPI).
QUESTION: Is DPI still available in this SOC? Maybe some of the I/O don't allow to configure drive strength and compilation fails due to this.
Yes, it should be available - the fact that I've had VGA666 working proves that as it is the same peripheral in RGB666 mode, but without two of the lines (GPIOs 0&1). The multimedia core is unchanged between Pi1, Pi2, and Pi3, barring a couple of minor bug fixes. The only thing that really changed was the ARM cores.

I've got a busy weekend, but I'll try to find some time to get a working blob for DPI.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

tvjon

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:06 pm

6by9 wrote:

There wasn't a release this afternoon. rpi-update to anything after 38c3dd9should have the uart1=off parameter.
I had vga666 working fine on Wednesday night on a Pi3 with (from memory):

dtparam=uart1=off
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=16
to give me 1024x768 out. I didn't check Bluetooth, but it should still have been there.
So could you elaborate on the significance of the times quoted on the attached github repo' pic' please?

I updated a couple of days ago, so why would an update go ahead if there wasn't a new one?

Also the files in

/boot/overlays are dated today - 14:03.

Firmware rev' is

f406502f5628d32e6ca5dadac34ff7ca59f8e27f
update.jpg
update.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 8710 times

PhilE

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:13 pm

@6by9 By my reckoning the "uart1" dtparam hasn't been included in anything except a BRANCH=next release, but you can download a preview from the link I included in an earlier comment.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:21 pm

6by9 wrote:
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:The device tree compiler doesn't give me any output so it's hard to tell if compiling the blob failed.
Yes, it should be available - the fact that I've had VGA666 working proves that as it is the same peripheral in RGB666 mode, but without two of the lines (GPIOs 0&1). The multimedia core is unchanged between Pi1, Pi2, and Pi3, barring a couple of minor bug fixes. The only thing that really changed was the ARM cores.

I've got a busy weekend, but I'll try to find some time to get a working blob for DPI.
Hi,
I can say that my device tree seems to work, the diabling og UART1 seems to work, but DPI is still not working here!
This is what I've done througout the afternoon:

[prepare a new uSD card with Jessie 2016-02-26]

[boot the system for the first time]

sudo raspi-config

[expand the file system, enable auto-logon to desktop and SSH]

[reboot]

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

[reboot]

sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raspberrypi/firmware/master/extra/dt-blob.dts

[make changes to dt-blob.dts]

sudo cp dt-blob.dts /boot/
cd /boot
sudo dtc -I dts -O dtb -o /boot/dt-blob.bin dt-blob.dts
sudo dtc -I dtb -O dts -o dt-blob-dc.dts /boot/dt-blob.bin 
Devie tree compiler is working correctly since GPIO were configured as expected, i.e.
[email protected] {
function = "dpi";
termination = "no_pulling";
drive_strength_mA = <0x8>;
};
Then checked current status of the GPIO with
sudo raspi-gpio get
--> all on input, 14/15 = UART RX/TX

[reboot with new blob
beforeuart1disable.jpg
status of GPIO after booting with new blob - all DPI except 14/15
beforeuart1disable.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 8686 times

[download the updated Pi3 DTB for rpi-4.1.y  (see 1. page for link)]
[add 'dtparam=uart1=off' to config.txt]
[reboot]
Checking the GPIO status again showed effect of the new parameter:
afteruart1disable.jpg
all pins now on DPI
afteruart1disable.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 8686 times
Then connected my display, changed the config.txt file to my - well working on RPIB+ and 2 - one and added the new param there too.

Restarted the unit --> NO DISPLAY! DPI is still not working although all GPIO seems to work as expected.

Please give some mor eadvice here!

6by9

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 pm

tvjon wrote:So could you elaborate on the significance of the times quoted on the attached github repo' pic' please?

I updated a couple of days ago, so why would an update go ahead if there wasn't a new one?

Also the files in

/boot/overlays are dated today - 14:03.

Firmware rev' is

f406502f5628d32e6ca5dadac34ff7ca59f8e27f
(Phil's beaten me to it, but I'll still post this response).

Sorry, partially Friday afternoon and getting muddled between issues.

rpi-update pulls data from https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/master. That is what is generally classed as a "release".
Latest commit is f406502f5628d32e6ca5dadac34ff7ca59f8e27f. Ooh, that hash looks familiar from your quote!
I suspect that the timestamps in /boot/overlay are the timestamp of when you updated, not of when the file was created or pushed to the server.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commits/rpi-4.1.y (and the rpi-4.4.y branch) and https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commits/master are the master repos that are built to make releases. There may be a couple of days worth of stuff committed before dom runs his magic script to make a release onto the Hexxeh repo.
I'd forgotten Phil had commented:
I meant any kind of firmware release made after my statement. This means that the patch is now in the "next" branch of rpi-update, but although there was an update to the "master" branch yesterday it was only adding a file missed by the previous commit and didn't include other changes.

Until the next update, you can download the updated Pi3 DTB for rpi-4.1.y here.
I'd actually pulled the new blob and built it myself, therefore I had support for dtparam=uart1=off.

6by9

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:35 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:Restarted the unit --> NO DISPLAY! DPI is still not working although all GPIO seems to work as expected.

Please give some mor eadvice here!
I can't give any at the moment as I don't know. That all appears to be doing the right thing now wrt GPIO mapping, so I would have expected it to work. I seemed to be seeing similar things Wednesday night with my display, but had to get some sleep. It's almost getting to oscilloscope time.

PhilE

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 pm

For various reasons, this thread being one of them, as of today I've removed the explicit claiming by Device Tree of the UART pins - the initial pinmux still maps the UART to 14 & 15, but that mapping can be overridden from DT without having to disable the UART. This makes it easier to use the vga666 overlay (as one example), since you won't need the dtparam=uart1=no (which can cause problems).

This change is made possible because the most recent firmware releases automatically configure the pinmux for the main UART; if an overlay swaps the pins over, the firmware enables the correct uart, and if dt-blob.bin puts some other function on those pins, the firmware won't override that. When writing a dt-blob.dts, continue to use Alt0 for 14 & 15 if you want UART output - the firmware will override that on a Pi3 if necessary.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi PhilE,

made two fresh installations today using Jessie 2016-03-18 and already noted this after compiling a device tree blob and checking pins by

sudo raspi-gpio get
Only tested DPI on the RPi2 today since it was taking quite some time to compile QGC (http://qgroundcontrol.org) on the RPi.
WP_20160321_16_23_51_Smart._mod_small.jpg
QGC running on the RPi2
WP_20160321_16_23_51_Smart._mod_small.jpg (43.08 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
RPi3 is prepared already, will test it tomorrow.

Off-topic: During this compile I noticed that CPU load was - more or less constantly - at 25%. Does it only use one core for this task (I've used Qt creator to compile it (also build from source) http://www.qt.io/download-open-source/ )? Is there a Linux tool that can show CPU load of the individual cores?

PhilE

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Each compilation unit (source to object) is single threaded, but "make" includes a powerful multi-threading system - all you need to do is tell it how many concurrent jobs to allow using the -j parameter. One job per core is reasonable, but some say add another 50%.

"top" will show load on each core - press "1" while it is running.

PhilE

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 pm

There is a post in the Troubleshooting section describing the changes to UART initialisation and the pinmux settings by the firmware.
TL;DR: If you want to use the UART console during booting on a Pi3 then you need to add enable_uart=1 to config.txt. Also, you can use the normal UART pins for other functions without pinctrl getting in the way.
Read the whole thing here.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Hey guys,

i can confirm that DPI is now running on Raspberry 3, using Jessie 2016-03-18 and latest firmware.

Thanks for your support!
Rgds
Joerg

PhilE

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Cool. Can you briefly say what you had to do in the end?

6by9

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:55 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:i can confirm that DPI is now running on Raspberry 3, using Jessie 2016-03-18 and latest firmware.
Seconding PhilE's request - what changes, if any?
You beat me to it, but I will persevere with getting it to work with an overlay to try to remove the need to hack dt-blob.dts.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:07 pm

You're welcome!
Here is the 'how - to' which I (always) work through:

[prepare a new uSD card with Jessie; latest release (atm) is 2016-03-18]

[boot the system for the first time]

sudo raspi-config
[expand the file system, enable auto-logon to desktop and SSH]

[reboot]

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

[reboot]

[check GPIO status]

sudo raspi-gpio get
--> [email protected] to [email protected] should be 'INPUT'

[install device tree compiler]

sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler
[get device tree blob sources from git]

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raspberrypi/firmware/master/extra/dt-blob.dts
[make changes to dt-blob.dts]

function = "input";
            }; // pin

// GPIOCONFIG: configure GPIO for 24-bit DPI interface
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // CLK
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // DEN
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // VSYNC
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // HSYNC
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B0
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B1
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B2
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B3
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B4
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B5
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B6
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // B7
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G0
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G1
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G2
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G3
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G4
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G5
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G6
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // G7
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R0
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R1
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R2
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R3
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R4
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R5
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R6
            [email protected] { function = "dpi";  termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // R7
            // end GPIOCONFIG; leave the rest untouched!
[copy the modified device tree blob source file - now 24-bit DPI - to /boot ]

sudo cp dt-blob.dts /boot/
cd /boot
[compile the device tree blob]

sudo dtc -I dts -O dtb -o /boot/dt-blob.bin dt-blob.dts
[optional step decompile to check if everything is as expected]

sudo dtc -I dtb -O dts -o dt-blob-dc.dts /boot/dt-blob.bin 
[reboot]

[check GPIO status]

sudo raspi-gpio get
--> [email protected] to [email protected] should be alt=2 func=DPI_xx

[make a copy of the default config.txt]

cd /boot
sudo cp config.txt /boot/config_def.txt
[open the config.txt file and make required changes]

sudo nano config.txt
[save the file [STRG]+O and exit [STRG]+X]

[shutdown]
[connect your display and reboot]

For the Sharp 10.1in WXGA display the config file is below:

# ---------------------------------------------
# For use with Sharp LQ101K1LY05 module only
# on RPi B+/2/3 - Raspbian Jessie/Wheezy

# For more options and information see
# http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# Overscan Information
# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
overscan_left=0
overscan_right=0
overscan_top=0
overscan_bottom=0

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
framebuffer_width=1280
framebuffer_height=800

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# Enable DPI
enable_dpi_lcd=1

# Make DPI default output
display_default_lcd=1

# custom HDMI mode
# https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=613926#p613926
# https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24679
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=87

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
dtparam=i2c_arm=off
#dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=spi=off

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

# DPI output format definitions
# https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=628061#p628061
# DPI structure: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=617719#p617719
# output_format:
#   1: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_9BIT_666
#   2: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_16BIT_565_CFG1
#   3: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_16BIT_565_CFG2
#   4: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_16BIT_565_CFG3
#   5: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_18BIT_666_CFG1
#   6: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_18BIT_666_CFG2
#   7: DPI_OUTPUT_FORMAT_24BIT_888
#
# rgb_order:
#   1: DPI_RGB_ORDER_RGB
#   2: DPI_RGB_ORDER_BGR
#   3: DPI_RGB_ORDER_GRB
#   4: DPI_RGB_ORDER_BRG
#
# output_enable_mode:
#   0: DPI_OUTPUT_ENABLE_MODE_DATA_VALID
#   1: DPI_OUTPUT_ENABLE_MODE_COMBINED_SYNCS
#
# invert_pixel_clock:
#   0: RGB Data changes on rising edge and is stable at falling edge
#   1: RGB Data changes on falling edge and is stable at rising edge
#
# hsync polarity: 
#   0: default for HDMI mode
#   1: inverted
#
# vsync polarity:
#
# output_enable_polarity:
#
# hsync phase:
#   0: rising edge
#   1: falling edge
#
# vsync phase:
#
# output_enable phase:
dpi_output_format=461847

# HDMI timing definitions
#https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24679
# hdmi_timings= <h_active_pixels>
#		  LCD module horizontal resolution
#
#               <h_sync_polarity>
# 		  0: active low
#		  1: active high
#
#               <h_front_porch> 
#		<h_sync_pulse>
#		<h_back_porch>
#		<v_active_lines>
#		  LCD module vertical resolution
#
#		<v_sync_polarity>
# 		  0: active low
#		  1: active high
#
#		<v_front_porch>
#		<v_sync_pulse>
#		<v_back_porch>
#
#		<v_sync_offset_a>
#		<v_sync_offset_b>
#		<pixel_rep>
#
#		<frame_rate>
#		  screen refrech rate (50/60Hz supported only!)#
#
#		<interlaced>
#
#		<pixel_freq>
#		  calculates as: <h_active_pixels> * <v_active_lines> * <frame_rate>
#
#		<aspect_ratio>
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_4_3 = 1
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_14_9 = 2
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_16_9 = 3
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_5_4 = 4
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_16_10 = 5
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_15_9 = 6
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_21_9 = 7
#		  HDMI_ASPECT_64_27 = 8
#hdmi_timing for LQ101K1LY05 configuration notes
#h_active_pixels = 1280
#h_sync_polarity = 0
#h_front_porch = 40
#h_sync_pulse = 0 
#h_back_porch = 1
#v_active_lines = 800
#v_sync_polarity = 0
#v_front_porch = 12
#v_sync_pulse = 0
#v_back_porch = 1
#v_sync_offset_a = 0
#v_sync_offset_b = 0
#pixel_rep = 0
#frame_rate = 60
#interlaces = 0
#pixel_freq = 80000000
#aspect_ratio = 5
hdmi_timings=1280 0 40 0 1 800 0 12 0 1 0 0 0 60 0 80000000 5
By the way: thanks for the '-j4' tip on make; compile time is now down to 25min @ 100% MCU load.
Are there any special steps needed to get 'festival' running on the Raspberry? Still couldnt get it working.

Since some folks were also asking questions related to Bluetooth here; here is another 'how - to' of what I did with the RPI3:
[install bluetooth support]

sudo apt-get install bluetooth bluez blueman
[scan for available devices]

hcitool scan
[in case of my current setup; example only!]
00:06:66:43:05:87 RN42-0587
[email protected]:~ $
[bind to this device, name is rfcomm 0]

sudo rfcomm bind 0 00:06:66:43:05:87 1
  • Code: Select all

ls /dev/rfcomm*
    --> you're now able to connect to your device by bluetooth via selcting 'rfcomm0' as communication interface
    2016-03-22-142019_1280x800_scrot_small.jpg
    Autoquad QGC running on RPi3 with crraft connected via Bluetooth
    2016-03-22-142019_1280x800_scrot_small.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 8224 times

6by9

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Curious - that's no different to the steps I had before which was working on Pi2 but not Pi3.
I'll give it another go tonight and see what I get with my Kippah.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:16 pm

I think this will do the trick

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update
together with the new Jessie release.

As you know: I did this exactly the same same a few times - using different RPi and displays - but I failed on the RPi3 until today.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:23 am

Just wanted to confirm that this works with ubuntu mate as well 8-)
img1.jpg
Raspberry3 running ubuntu mate. Screenshot taken from LVD4Pi connected display
img1.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 8027 times

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 am

Hey there!

Glad to see that the DPI now is documented https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... rrypi/dpi/ and you're going to introduce some new overlays dealing with it.
They overlays are already available here https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... t/overlays

Will test them for sure :lol:

6by9

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 am

It needs a minor update as the Adafruit Kippah only exposes RGB666, not the dpi24 that the overlay currently uses. That would allow the remaining 6 GPIOs that Adafruit present on the Kippah to be used for other purposes.
Now to work out why my almost identical overlay didn't work. Having had a quick chat with Phil over it, the only guess is the GPIO drive current as that is currently not configured by the kernel.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:55 pm

I've always configured it to 8mA when compiling the blob.

6by9

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:29 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:I've always configured it to 8mA when compiling the blob.
Likewise, but the kernel currently doesn't have a mechanism for setting it all, so it'll be whatever the blob defaults to.

Return to “Device Tree”