BlackKnight_UK

Subscription ended with no reminder

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:13 pm

I've been a subscriber for a few years and always got a note in with the last issue to say my subscription was about to expire. But not this time.

I've been waiting for the January issue (#77) but it hasn't arrived so I emailed to find out why and was told that issue #76 was the last one.

Just wondering what changed and why we aren't told that our subscription is about to end?

scotty101

Re: Subscription ended with no reminder

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:35 pm

I got a reminder but only a few days before the next issue came out rather than after the 12th magazine in my subscription was sent out.

I did end up getting the magazine that I missed but I'd rather know earlier.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

lucyhattersley

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 am

We've fixed this and new subscriptions should automatically renew. (This saves everybody a lot of trouble).

Plus! If you took out an earlier non-renewing subscription you'll get reminders to renew when the issue is finished.

BlackKnight_UK

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 am

Thank you.

tuxcoder

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm

The same thing happened to me, but as a US subscriber it turned out to be worse than some simple glitch. Apparently "IMS" (International Media Services) is no longer the middleman on these subscriptions. There's a bunch of strange circumstances surrounding IMS and their handling, the details of which are of no concern in this thread.

Anyway, I opened a support ticket at magpi.zendesk.com, asking about the status of my subscription, before I learned of the change from IMS. Nothing in the support response said anything about the switch away from IMS. So I called that company and it was the representative there that told me about it.

I posted a follow-up question (which had to be done as a new ticket) asking if there was an announcement to that effect that I had missed. The ticket was simply CLOSED with no answer to my question. :x

So, I'll ask in here: Was there any public mention, that I may have missed, of IMS no longer handling US subscriptions to MagPi?

BlackKnight_UK

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am

After reading the above I checked and my previous subscriptions were through Select Publishing, they notified me at the end of the subscription. I don't know when it changed to Raspberry Pi Press but no one told me!

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 am

The switchover happened around the summer last year. It should have been a seamless transition for subscribers however obviously it looks like that's not the case for everyone, apologies.

bensimmo

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:34 pm

At least there is always the PDF to read for free if you ever miss one.
Can't complain about that.

I can complain of the 3A+ offer that was put up a few months after my subscription restarted again ;-)
Not really, they've been pretty good here for both Hack and Mag, I did almost miss one issue due to and overlap of subscription running out sometime this year, I think I managed to resubscribe in time to get it (but I'd read the pdf by then).

Still, I buy as my sons reads it, I read it and I like to support their efforts.

It can be annoying when (in the UK) the magazine turns up *after* it has been published on the website as a pdf though.

You can have read the pdf before the paper version turns up, reducing the appeal somewhat.

Return to “The MagPi”