BruceK

Question on the Tor Network article in March 2018 issue (#67)

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:02 pm

I have a question about the Tor Network article in your latest issue (#67). I am trying to use a Raspberry Pi 3 as an access point in my home network and I want to route all of its traffic through the Tor network. I followed your instructions in the article and I was pleasantly surprised to see that everything worked as expected. Instead of the usual router address I would see using ipchicken I now saw Tor servers listed as being used for my routing.

But then everything kinda went pear shaped. I had been connecting to the RPi3 using SSH as it’s a headless configuration. What I found was that if I closed the SSH connection I was unable to log back in using SSH - I would get an “ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host” error. The only way I’ve found to clear the error is to reboot the RPi3. But I found if I did that then the Tor routing I installed would not work. I found that I had to rerun the two routing commands shown in your article (for DNS and TCP traffic) in order to get the Tor routing to once again work. But then I would lose the SSH capability if I closed the connection. I have verified that after reboot running sudo service tor status indicates that Tor is running, but it’s not rerouting traffic.

How can I fix this problem? Why is the SSH capability of my RPi3 being compromised by running the Tor setup commands?

My RPi3 is runningnRaspbian Linux 8 (jessie), kernel Linux 4.9.35-v7+.

And and all help would be welcome. Thanks!

Bruce

DougieLawson

Re: Question on the Tor Network article in March 2018 issue (#67)

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Why are you running an end-of-life operating system? The time to upgrade to Raspbian Stretch is NOW!
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

WillBoxGaming1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Why are you running an end-of-life operating system? The time to upgrade to Raspbian Stretch is NOW!
I totally agree with him. All of the tutorials out there assume you are using the latest version. The GUI is way better and it has alot more functionalities!

To update your system, input the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Reboot your Pi. You should now have a fully functionning Raspbian stretch OS!

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:34 pm

WillBoxGaming1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
I totally agree with him. All of the tutorials out there assume you are using the latest version. The GUI is way better and it has alot more functionalities!

To update your system, input the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Reboot your Pi. You should now have a fully functionning Raspbian stretch OS!

Yes Jessie is EoL....

Though not recommended, if you want to go from Jessie to Stretch, see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/
Adieu

BruceK

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Trying to use apt-get update and apt-get upgrade didn't update the kernel to stretch, so I downloaded a copy of it, put it on a memory card and got it setup and working in the RPi3. Followed the setup instructions in the article, and now I have a different problem.

Logging into the Pi3 via SSH, tor status shows:

[email protected]_onion:~ $ sudo service tor status
● tor.service - Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Wed 2018-03-07 15:59:42 EST; 2min 55s ago
Process: 334 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 334 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: /system.slice/tor.service

Mar 07 15:59:42 rpi3_onion systemd[1]: Starting Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)...
Mar 07 15:59:42 rpi3_onion systemd[1]: Started Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master).

But nothing connected to it gets a network connection. It looks as if it isn't even running, for some reason.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Bruce

BruceK

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:23 pm

After a lot of monkeying around I managed to upgrade the kernel on the micro SD card that had Tor working (mostly) under jessie to stretch.

And I'm getting the exact same error as indicated in my previous message. So I'm reverting to jessie where at least I had some sort of Tor support working.

Bruce

Return to “The MagPi”