Sir FICO

How to electrocute yourself

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 pm

The latest mag has an article ' make a wifi desk lamp' It appears to be a 240 volt lamp with relay dangling in the open. The article states
'This circuit will work just fine, but once the project is complete you can always look at encasing the parts in a case." Yeh right.

I just hope some little dangling fingers do not touch the relay screws whilst also holding a good earthing point. This is a really irresponsible article.

pcmanbob

Re: How to electrocute yourself

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Sir FICO I have to agree with you the article does not take in to consideration that you will have mains 240V on the back of the relay PCB which is life threatening if you do not have the relay board encased in an insulated box.

There is absolutely not warning of the dangers of working with 240V AC mains electricity, which can and will kill you given the chance.

As this article will be seen by all ages it would have been better to have used a low voltage battery powered lamp.

I think the editor/sub-editor slipped up on this one.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

klricks

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

In addition IMO the 'hot' side should be switched so that there is no power at the bulb socket when turned off.
Although it would work either way it is safer so that there is no power at the socket when changing a bulb.
The article makes no mention of that so there is a 50/50 chance to choose the hot or neutral wire.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:16 pm

We are aware of the issue, and it is being discussed how to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=106&t=109621&start=25#p1278308
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

piglet

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Yikes!

It's one thing making an errata note and changing the electronic version. I shudder to think how many hard copies of that have gone out....

Hard-copy warning by courier?

lucyhattersley

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi,

Just to let everyone know we have taken steps to address this. We've reprinted the magazine with a replacement tutorial which will be on the newsstand, and have changed the digital edition. This email has just been sent to everybody who received a subscription print copy.
We've been hearing from our readers about electrical safety concerns with a community tutorial in The MagPi 67: "Make a WiFi Desk Lamp" (page 50-51).

The tutorial didn't meet our editorial standards, and because of the nature of the guide we have decided to remove it from circulation.

We are printing new copies of The MagPi 67 with a replacement tutorial. The new print edition of the magazine will be available from this weekend on The Raspberry Pi Press store and from Thursday 8 March in retail outlets. If you subscribed within the last few days you'll receive the new version of the magazine soon.

Digital copies of The MagPi 67 have had this tutorial replaced. You can download it here.

If you have purchased, or received, a print copy of The MagPi 67 please do not follow the Make a WiFi Desk Lamp tutorial.

We would like to thank the readers who brought this to our attention. We are a community magazine and could not do this without the support and help of the Raspberry Pi community.

Thank you.
Last edited by lucyhattersley on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jamesh

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 pm

I've reposted the message as a sticky so it appears at the top of the page.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Mortimer

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Probably not that important, but although the section has been removed from the electronic version of the magazine, the contents pages haven't been updated, so this stills shows "Make A Wifi Desk Lamp 50". There are no pages 50 and 51, the numbers go straight from 49 to 52.

Surprised not to see a warning published on the org. home page or the MagPi page.

lucyhattersley

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:12 pm

We've replaced the tutorial with Make A Talking Web Browser (that was scheduled for Issue 68). In the interim we removed the tutorial from the PDF (hence the two missing pages). Perhaps you have a cached copy?

Refresh your browser and you should get the new one including a new contents, cover, welcome page and a few other refreshed pages.

Return to “The MagPi”