KanoMaster22

AIY Projects Vision Kit Coming Soon!

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:28 pm

It looks like some details about the next AIY Projects kit could be announced in the next issue of the Magpi according to page 70 of the Hackspace magazine. Looks like the AIY Projects Vision Kit is next. Can't wait!
Last edited by KanoMaster22 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Re: Next Issue Of Magpi Spoilers

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 pm

I am not sure "Incoming!" is an announcement of a free camera or whatever with the MagPi, but I guess we can look forward to them being hoovered up from shops by ebay scalpers and the lucky few if it is. The moral is; get a subscription if you don't want to miss out on any MagPi freebies.

Google mentioned AIY vision and motion detection back in August but I haven't seen any details of what that actually provides for. I was expecting the next giveaway to be servos or something which would attach to the existing voice kit.

KanoMaster22

Re: Next Issue Of Magpi Spoilers

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I expect it means it is coming soon and that it will be announced in the next issue of the Magpi (maybe not build details until the next issue). It may not come in the form of a free kit or a kit that can be bought and would make sense for it to be based on the already existing Raspberry Pi Camera Module. All of this is just a guess apart from the bit that AIY Projects Vision Kit is 'incoming'. By the fact that the AIY Projects Vision is the main thing on the front cover, I am guessing it may be one or two months until the actual kit is released. For those who can't be bothered find the page in Hackspace see the image attached.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-11-26 at 16.58.20.png
Screenshot 2017-11-26 at 16.58.20.png (85.94 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

hippy

Re: AIY Projects Vision Kit Coming Soon!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Looks interesting. The Hacker Within Me wonders what other uses the Vision Bonnet and X VPU could be put to beyond neural networking, and what the unpopulated connector is for; HDMI input, 4K output ?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I wonder who is going to be the first to put an "Intel Inside" sticker on their Pi case :D

bartimeaus

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Also it looks like its not a freebie with magpi, its an optional purchase.

codfangler

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:45 pm

I've just received my Magpi and checked out the kit on the Microcenter website. They are taking pre-orders but the killer is that the kit will only be available as a store pickup. This effectively means that only American buyers will be able to buy one. :?

hippy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Some links to save everyone searching ...

Google's announcement -

https://blog.google/topics/machine-lear ... evices-see

The Microcenter pre-order landing page ($44.99) -

http://www.microcenter.com/site/content ... y&rd=1

I note that seems to have a "Pre-order now for home delivery" option.

KanoMaster22

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 am

They don’t deliver to the UK though.

jbeale

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:45 am

They don't deliver anywhere AFAIK. I really want one, but don't want to drive 8 hours to the nearest in-store-only pickup.

KanoMaster22

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

I know! The aim of AIY Projects is to make AI accessible to makers but this is the complete opposite! It is near impossible to get the new kit! Even if you live in the country it is supposed to be available. It completely impossible to get in the UK until Easter time!

jbeale

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Since I can't get one for now, I can at least speculate on what the actual performance is. I have read "60x faster than running on the Pi by itself" but I'm not clear about the absolute performance.

In my experiments using the tiny-yolo weights, the RPi 3 can do basic object recognition in about 2 seconds or 0.5 fps. This post mentions as fast as 0.9 fps: https://www.pyimagesearch.com/2017/10/1 ... th-opencv/

Let's say the RPi3 can do detection at 0.5 fps, if this add-on board is 60x faster than means 30 fps and we have a full real-time detector, presumably with a lot lower power than the big Nvidia GPU you'd otherwise need, since I don't see a heatsink on that chip. Is is true?

Apart from the speed, how does it work in practice? Ideally I'd want the chip to be passing me the bounding box of the detected objects from the real-time video stream, tied to each frame where an object is detected. Does the camera connect to the board, or the Pi, or both? Seems like you need video-rate communication from the board to the Pi, which can't happen just over the GPIO, unless the board acts as a video splitter so both board and RPi get the video feed (?) Even in that case, how do you match up frames because there is significant and perhaps variable latency between the MIPI video data going into the Pi's GPU, and "real-time" communication through any other interfaces.

KanoMaster22

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:37 am

It means 60 times faster than the Pi Zero W.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:30 am

KanoMaster22 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am
I know! The aim of AIY Projects is to make AI accessible to makers but this is the complete opposite! It is near impossible to get the new kit! Even if you live in the country it is supposed to be available. It completely impossible to get in the UK until Easter time!
Fairy standard way of doing things tbh. Announce, manufacture, distribute, with distribution distance increasing over time.

Be gratefull you don't want a Tesla model 3 in the UK. Manufacture started 2017, Available UK 2019.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

jbeale

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 am

KanoMaster22 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:37 am
It means 60 times faster than the Pi Zero W.
That's not what I read, but maybe the quote was incorrect?

“We have developed a deep learning inference acceleration engine that we’re running on the chip,” explains Kai Yick from the AIY Projects team. “It’s 60 times faster than trying to do it on a Raspberry Pi 3.” https://hackspace.raspberrypi.org/featu ... ent-camera

bensimmo

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:30 am

The release of the AIY Vision is designed for the Zero and all announcement were referenced with the Zero.
There was never a mention of which Pi it was faster with, I like everyone also assumed it was compared to the Zero.

Either that is now a new info or he has mentioned the wrong Pi.

Of course Vision API has been in use for a while, this just speeds it up in a nice kit afaik.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/googl ... pberry-pi/ (a year ago)

jamesh

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 am

60x faster than a Zero would be about 2x faster than a Pi3 running quad core NEON, so hardly worth the HW development effort. I would expect the reference to be against the PI3.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

bensimmo

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 am

jamesh wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 am
60x faster than a Zero would be about 2x faster than a Pi3 running quad core NEON, so hardly worth the HW development effort. I would expect the reference to be against the PI3.
That's what I thought but went hohum, not going to see it for a while and when it's available over here there'll be all sorts of info.

Is Pi Towers getting/got any to play with?

----
(and I can't find a reference, again, to the 'hopeful for a Spring' production after these initial 2000)

jbeale

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:20 pm

In the deep learning literature I've read, the standard performance metric is frames per second, along with a Precision-Recall curve, and mean Average Precision. I've seen three specific networks mentioned with the AIY Project (person/dog/cat, facial expression/sentiment, categorize 1001 object types). If these are running now on the hardware, I assume they know what FPS values they achieve, so I look forward to seeing that information at some point.

jbeale

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:46 pm

By the way, I have to say the full (not "tiny") YOLO network is pretty impressive, although very slow using only a CPU, not GPU. I'm using https://github.com/thtrieu/darkflow and here is an example of it correctly detecting four cars (some only partially visible) and most impressively the driver in the PERSON category, even with the eyes obscured by the rearview mirror and not a lot else visible. This image was captured by PiKrellCam, before being fed into the network.
motion_2016-10-17_08.00.37_32.jpg
motion_2016-10-17_08.00.37_32.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

Return to “The MagPi”