digger72
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

hubpixed vs zero4u

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm

On February 22, 2016 I released a product with funny name called Hubpixed on Kickstarter. I am mentioning the date to emphasize that this was the first product of its kind that came into light. A working prototype was displayed in Video. You can check the details on the kickstarter page to verify the details.

The reason I am mentioning these details has to do with the following Raspberry Pi Magazine article

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/zero4u-review/

The Magazine mentions Zero4u, that was launched much later than hubpixed. The Pi magazine knowing or unknowingly fails to mention Hubpixed.

Can I expect a clarification from from the PiMag team ? The details of the Hubpixed kickstarter launch can be found here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... out-cable/

All I would like, is to give credit to the original creator of the idea.

beta-tester
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:48 am

i would be angry (pissed off) as well, when an other person would get all the credits, but not you, as initial creator/inventor of that kind of hub...

and on you version i like the cutout for the GPIO header connector.

is you hub still available?
where is it available?
is it available for RPi Zero and RPi Zero W?
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

digger72
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm

beta-tester wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:48 am
i would be angry (pissed off) as well, when an other person would get all the credits, but not you, as initial creator/inventor of that kind of hub...

and on you version i like the cutout for the GPIO header connector.

is you hub still available?
where is it available?
is it available for RPi Zero and RPi Zero W?

I have to move on though.

Making the GPIO cutout header available was a well thought out plan.

The hub is available for purchase, though quantity is limited now and I plan to make more of these in bulk if there is a demand for it. Please see http://referencedesigner.com/blog/hubpi ... ctor/6551/

It will work on Pi Zero as well as W.

beta-tester
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 am

one thing could be better...
the USB ports stick out of the board.
could be fixed, when the ports would be places in an other way.
one USB port in the left, two in the middle, one on the right.
then there should be enough space to put all of them further in to be lined up with the board dimensions.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 32984
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 am

digger72 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm
Can I expect a clarification from from the PiMag team ? The details of the Hubpixed kickstarter launch can be found here.
Do you have a patent?

If yes then you should employ a intellectual property lawyer to protect your patent.
If not, then, sorry, you don't have a leg to stand on.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi digger,

The company, UUGear, have been making USB hub add-ons for the Raspberry Pi since at least 2014, here's an early model that uses stock photography that includes an original Model B: http://www.uugear.com/portfolio/high-sp ... pberry-pi/

They're proving tricky to locate with the rapid turnover of Pi products and webpages but I do recall other I/O add-ons and HATs for the Pi over the past several years that included USB hubs.

If you do have proof that UUGear stole this design from you then we will be more than happy to credit you - in fact in this case I'd personally pull the review from our blog! It would be very not cool.

May I ask why you've decided to contact us now over it? It appeared in our September 2016 issue and was posted to our blog the same month.

digger72
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 am
digger72 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm
Can I expect a clarification from from the PiMag team ? The details of the Hubpixed kickstarter launch can be found here.
Do you have a patent?

If yes then you should employ a intellectual property lawyer to protect your patent.
If not, then, sorry, you don't have a leg to stand on.

DougieLawson,

I am talking about something different here. Many people have written about me being the first to bring any such product first in the market. What I would hate to see is MagiPi being labeled by others as at actively promoting plagiarized product. A clarification on the MagPi will help dispel this myth.

digger72
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 pm

robthez wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:41 pm
Hi digger,

The company, UUGear, have been making USB hub add-ons for the Raspberry Pi since at least 2014, here's an early model that uses stock photography that includes an original Model B: http://www.uugear.com/portfolio/high-sp ... pberry-pi/

They're proving tricky to locate with the rapid turnover of Pi products and webpages but I do recall other I/O add-ons and HATs for the Pi over the past several years that included USB hubs.

If you do have proof that UUGear stole this design from you then we will be more than happy to credit you - in fact in this case I'd personally pull the review from our blog! It would be very not cool.

May I ask why you've decided to contact us now over it? It appeared in our September 2016 issue and was posted to our blog the same month.
May I ask you few questions

- When Hubpixed was launches on Feb 22, 2016 and was a roaring success, why MagPi did not cover this product.
- In September 2016 issue when MagPi covered a similar product why it favored covering UUGear product in preference to Hubpixed.
- Please note that, as of now I am not claiming that other stole my design - I have, as of now no proof for that as of now. That will be a totally different topic. All I do claim is that I was the first to bring a proven and working product in market first.

As for your this comment

The company, UUGear, have been making USB hub add-ons for the Raspberry Pi since at least 2014, here's an early model that uses stock photography that includes an original Model B: http://www.uugear.com/portfolio/high-sp ... pberry-pi/


There are hundreds of companies making USBs. It is not a rocket science. The key idea here is the pogo pin in the design. The key design element is the novel idea. Hubpixed, was the first to bring such product in market. Moreover, the original Hubpixed design has the cutout in the 40 Pin Connector area, that uugear design does not have.

To summarize, all I am saying is that I was the first to bring this product product, while PiMag, conveniently chose to publish product that came in the market later.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 32984
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 am

digger72 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 pm
I am talking about something different here. Many people have written about me being the first to bring any such product first in the market. What I would hate to see is MagiPi being labeled by others as at actively promoting plagiarized product. A clarification on the MagPi will help dispel this myth.
You're missing the point that is precisely what a patent protects you from. If you failed to take a patent then that's your loss and none of the MagPi magazine's business.

They can't plagiarise a product. They can steal IP. But there's no protection against that without a patent.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

digger72
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 am

You're missing the point that is precisely what a patent protects you from. If you failed to take a patent then that's your loss and none of the MagPi magazine's business.

They can't plagiarise a product. They can steal IP. But there's no protection against that without a patent.
I again and again repeat - I am not here to complain anyone copying or not copying , patent blah blah .......

I am here to talk about a MagPi article. My question is very simple - How and why MagPi ignore mentioning my product - even though it came earlier in the market - made a headline in kickstarter - and was better in terms of space in 40 Pin Connector area.

To clarify again and again - see what another user has said

i would be angry (pissed off) as well, when an other person would get all the credits, but not you, as initial creator/inventor of that kind of hub...

and on you version i like the cutout for the GPIO header connector.


If I have to deal with patent etc, I will not be doing it here as you have advised. I am here to talk about THE MagPi article.

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Honestly, there's no conspiracy here about purposefully ignoring your product - I've personally never heard of it until seeing this forum thread and the freelancer that wrote that article wouldn't have ignored it either. Apologies if you feel slighted by this. There's a LOT of Pi stuff that crosses our feeds and stuff inevitably falls through the cracks

digger72
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: hubpixed vs zero4u

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm

robthez wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:04 pm
Honestly, there's no conspiracy here about purposefully ignoring your product - I've personally never heard of it until seeing this forum thread and the freelancer that wrote that article wouldn't have ignored it either. Apologies if you feel slighted by this. There's a LOT of Pi stuff that crosses our feeds and stuff inevitably falls through the cracks
The is fair enough response. The important thing is that the user should eventually get benefited by the end product whoever may have done it. That being said, I wanted to post few facts.

1. Even before hubpixed was posted on kickstarter, it was on January 24, 2016, that hubpixed was first posted on my blog - please see the date and the post here - http://referencedesigner.com/blog/hubpi ... zero/2965/

2. Alasdair Allan written a post about the Hibpixed and has also mentioned zero4u - Excerpts

These include a number that look a lot like the Hubpixed, for instance the Zero4U or the Waveshare USB HAT, with the creator of the Hubpixed even recently returning to Kickstarter with the HubSerialixed a combined USB Hub and UART daughter board

3. Zero4u continues to be expensive - See its Adafruit price and also the shipping cost
Image

Compare it with Hubpixed price on ebay

Image

Return to “The MagPi”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest