DarrenHill

Smart USB Pen Drive Variant? (Issue 60)

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Just finished reading the issue, and the tutorial on the Pi Zero W as a smart USB pen drive is of great interest.

I have an older TV that can play stuff via a USB port, but is otherwise not network connectable. What I was wondering is whether something similar to the tutorial set-up is possible with the container file replaced by a mounted network share (for example from the NAS drive on my network). Can modprobe and mass storage device mode support that, or is it only possible using a local container file storage environment like in the article?

Had a quick trawl around the man pages and the net and modprobe seems such a wide-ranging command that it's not clear whether it would be possible or not (I see there is g_ether, but I'm not sure if that's useful for this case or not). Even the article way is going to be very helpful for that TV's future life, but if it can be networked via the Pi then it'd be even better.

Also does anyone know if this works with Jessie Lite, or does it need the full-fat version for some technical reason?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Smart USB Pen Drive Variant? (Issue 60)

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 pm

DarrenHill wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 pm
Just finished reading the issue, and the tutorial on the Pi Zero W as a smart USB pen drive is of great interest.

I have an older TV that can play stuff via a USB port, but is otherwise not network connectable. What I was wondering is whether something similar to the tutorial set-up is possible with the container file replaced by a mounted network share (for example from the NAS drive on my network). Can modprobe and mass storage device mode support that, or is it only possible using a local container file storage environment like in the article?

Had a quick trawl around the man pages and the net and modprobe seems such a wide-ranging command that it's not clear whether it would be possible or not (I see there is g_ether, but I'm not sure if that's useful for this case or not). Even the article way is going to be very helpful for that TV's future life, but if it can be networked via the Pi then it'd be even better.

Also does anyone know if this works with Jessie Lite, or does it need the full-fat version for some technical reason?
Your TV will only see the Zero as a USB Mass storage (g_mass_storage) Device

http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=791

http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=699
Adieu

DarrenHill

Re: Smart USB Pen Drive Variant? (Issue 60)

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Ah well, wifi enabled USB key equivalent is better than nothing :)

Return to “The MagPi”