yoosi

Self Printing Old MagPi Issues?

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:01 am

I've downloaded back-issues of MagPi online. I'd like to take them to a local print shop to be printed and bound in one large collection. I don't plan to distribute this; It's just for my own reading. Most print shops require a note saying the author allows this sort of thing. Is this legal? How can I provide proper proof to the print shop?

DougieLawson

Re: Self Printing Old MagPi Issues?

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:56 am

I don't know about issues 31 to current, because the MagPi got taken over by the Raspberry Pi foundation. You'll have to ask them.

For issues 1 to 30 and the Dec 2014 issue SE1 they have this statement:
The MagPi is a trademark of The MagPi Ltd. Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. The MagPi magazine is collaboratively produced by an independent group of Raspberry Pi owners, and is not affiliated in any way with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. It is prohibited to commercially produce this magazine without authorization from The MagPi Ltd. Printing for non commercial purposes is agreeable under the Creative Commons license below. The MagPi does not accept ownership or responsibility for the content or opinions expressed in any of the articles included in this issue. All articles are checked and tested before the release deadline is met but some faults may remain. The reader is responsible for all consequences, both to software and hardware, following the implementation of any of the advice or code printed. The MagPi does not claim to own any copyright licenses and all content of the articles are submitted with the responsibility lying with that of the article writer. This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

To view a copy of this license, visit:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
my bold text.

Feel free to print any of the materials I wrote for the original MagPi Magazine.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:43 am

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/41/

The MagPi is freely licensed under Creative Commons (BY-SA-NC 3.0).

You can download this issue free now and forever, but buying in print or digital supports The Raspberry Pi Foundation’s charitable mission to democratise computing.
Account Inactive

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:46 am

yoosi wrote:I've downloaded back-issues of MagPi online. I'd like to take them to a local print shop to be printed and bound in one large collection. I don't plan to distribute this; It's just for my own reading. Most print shops require a note saying the author allows this sort of thing. Is this legal? How can I provide proper proof to the print shop?
Yes, point them to the license as mentioned by SoaMG.
SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/41/

The MagPi is freely licensed under Creative Commons (BY-SA-NC 3.0).

You can download this issue free now and forever, but buying in print or digital supports The Raspberry Pi Foundation’s charitable mission to democratise computing.
Further:
Creative Commons (BY-SA-NC 3.0)
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
The Pi foundation would probably appreciate a suitable donation.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

yoosi

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks all!

Return to “The MagPi”