SimonSmall

More help on Git - e.g. Gitolite?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 pm

I have read about Git in MagPi # 27,28,29 (Oct-Dec 2014, by Alec Clews), and am now using Git repositories for a lot of my work. I can easily see changes and wind them back if I change my mind. I have found Git a useful tool for both things that I code and for documentation, and it was these three articles that got me going. I have since read a lot more about Git, but I would like some additional guidance by way of a 'round 2' of Git articles (if anyone can be persuaded to write them)

I have started to use Gitolite as a home based Git repository manager. I can then clone these repositories as necessary and work on them; it all seems very easy. Although it is just me at the moment, I do have a couple of Pis, laptops, etc. and it would be useful to know how to set this up on my home network. At the moment, it is configured under a new user in the /home/ directories on my main Pi. I suspect that this would be useful for schools and for families with several Pi users. Is this something that can be done?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: More help on Git - e.g. Gitolite?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Although I've been using git for a number of years, I still have to refer to Google frequently when I want to do anything even slightly off the beaten track. I recently set up a remote repo so I could backup projects at work from my local machine to a server, and others could access the data. I used the article here...

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-t ... -Protocols

In fact that whole site is a treasure trove of git information.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

DougieLawson

Re: More help on Git - e.g. Gitolite?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:55 pm

I've been running gitolite for a very long time (before Sept 2012). I've even got it working with gitweb. It's a real bonus being able to try things out and revert to a good copy.

It runs well on my B+.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “The MagPi”