thagrol

Product Placement?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:14 pm

Has The MagPi started doping product placement in its articles now?

Issue 108 p38 "Build the ultimate home server with Raspberry Pi" sure feels like an extended ad for the Argon One case.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Imperf3kt

Re: Product Placement?

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:13 am

A lot of the magi pi articles feel like extended ads, it's probably just an inexperienced writer or someone who forgot to be unbiased in a review.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

thagrol

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:38 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:13 am
A lot of the magi pi articles feel like extended ads, it's probably just an inexperienced writer or someone who forgot to be unbiased in a review.
The former. Though surely the editor should have picked up on it?

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.

lucyhattersley

Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am

You're right that the kit stated is pretty obvious.

It's a tutorial though. Not a review and not sponsored product placement.

The writer uses an Argon M.2 for the setup and it's a fairly unique case (that provides support for M.2 drives). You are, of course, welcome to use other cases and kit and adapt the tutorial to your needs.

We tend to be specific in our tutorials about what kit was used for practical reasons. So readers can follow them exactly. Open to suggestions if it feels a little heavy-handed though.

thagrol

Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 pm

lucyhattersley wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am
You're right that the kit stated is pretty obvious.

It's a tutorial though. Not a review and not sponsored product placement.
It being a tutorial is why it seemed like product placement. Especially as most of it was specific to the Argon One product.
The writer uses an Argon M.2 for the setup and it's a fairly unique case (that provides support for M.2 drives). You are, of course, welcome to use other cases and kit and adapt the tutorial to your needs.

We tend to be specific in our tutorials about what kit was used for practical reasons. So readers can follow them exactly. Open to suggestions if it feels a little heavy-handed though.
I understand the need for specifics on some tutorials, however, that particular case and drive are not required to make an "Ultimate Home Server" and are significantly more expensive than other options: £42 for the case as opposed to £5 for the official case, £91.99 for the M.2 drive opposed to less than £40 for a 1TB USB 3 HDD.

Perhaps in future a side bar or note to say that other case and storage options may be used?

Joop99

Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:38 pm

I agree with you that it should be written without giving the idea of an add. However, the market is broke, there are no shops any longer where you can go in finding your stuff. Ordering online is also a broken market with added that you don't know what you get and if you get it unharmed. Next, we have internal laws and regulations, so ordering abroad is possible, but sometimes with a hefty ticket, ie paying taxes for importing, paying value added taxes and so on. In short, we don't have a free choice in picking our choice of goods. It took me more then half a year to get a RP400, 1.5 year in getting a new Windows system being not a laptop. There are no laptops on the consumer market which will stay in one piece if dropped in a soft shell or similar on a concrete floor with a drop height about 5 to 6 inches. So I understand why some articles are a little biased, but I also know the why. Sorry for the double spaces, its a habit from my own RP400, setting it right is something from the above, a RP400 will then cost something about € 200,=. I hope you can see my point.

thagrol

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Even less impressed by part two. For techincal reasons this time though. Maybe I should write another guide...

Return to “The MagPi”