Torcrayth

Help us build a robot

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 pm

As an older person I find all of the how to make things videos on the Internet not all that user friendly.

I would really like to see The Magpi to do a step by step project on how to build a simple wheeled robot and how to perhaps take it as far as controlling via an android app with video feedback.
Perhaps after the main build you could do smaller add on articles of other options to enhance the robot.

If this was done over several issues you could even list the various bits that you would be installing in the next issue so that it gave us time to go out and get the bits ready.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing for something like this.

B.Goode

Re: Help us build a robot

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Does the article in Issue 51 November 2016 come anywhere near your needs?

(I sympathize entirely regarding videos... )

B.Goode

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Another option. But nothing to do with the MagPi.

The CamJam EduKit #3 provides the parts for a two wheeled robot.

The associated worksheets are freely available for download. They go step-by-step through putting the kit together, concluding with options for remote control, including via Android.

http://camjam.me/?page_id=1035

There are of course a wide range of more polished (and expensive) 'construction kits' commercially available, but perhaps you were hoping to learn more from a DIY approach?

hippy

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Maybe run a series of articles and include the parts needed to build the actual robot. Much like Real Robot's Cybot -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cybot ... s&tbm=isch

Something simpler though, cheaper and over fewer issues. Cybot worked out quite expensive if one went all-in but just a few issues and £20 got a decent chassis, motors, motor driver board and battery boxes which was enough to have one's own micro controlling it - It got me into building my first ever bot.

Alternatively a partnership with one of the official retailers who can sell the parts to make an "Official Raspberry Pi Robot" might work. It is having a cheap platform which is 'plug-and-play' which is the biggest problem for most people.

[ Cross posted with B.Goode's post - That CamJam EduKit#3 looks great to me but think it should come with a chassis ]

With a suitable platform, and a few simple sensors, it's then all software. There could be a tie-in with Scratch and/or Blockly so could be well suited to educational Pi users.

It should also encourage more subscriptions because issues with 'parts included' aren't going to hang about on shop shelves.

Torcrayth

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 am

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:52 pm
Does the article in Issue 51 November 2016 come anywhere near your needs?

(I sympathize entirely regarding videos... )
This was before my Pi time so I've not seen it at all.
😞

Torcrayth

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 am

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm
Another option. But nothing to do with the MagPi.

The CamJam EduKit #3 provides the parts for a two wheeled robot.
I've seen these kits but as stupid as it sounds (and also it makes me feel old to admit it) I know that these kits don't come with batteries for example and even that can be overwhelming somewhat.

ghans

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:10 am

All releases of the MagPi are free to download in PDF format.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

darkbibble

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 pm

i definetly like the idea of magpi doing a simple robot in parts over several issues with build instructions. something with space for the pi with a small breadboard at the front. that way you could do 2 types of obsticle dection, whiskers (like BoE-Bot) or utrasonic.

one of the "basic" bots i had years ago was a BoE-Bot from parallax, its layout was nice,

the whole battery thing is confusing i agree, it took me weeks to work out batterys and match them to my drive system and pi.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

Torcrayth

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 pm

ghans wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:10 am
All releases of the MagPi are free to download in PDF format.

ghans
Ahhhhh.

Return to “The MagPi”