gthvidsten

Raspberry Pi 2 hangs during Windows IoT boot

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm

I've downloaded the Windows 10 IoT Core Dashboard and set up an SD card according to the instructions on that site. When booting my Raspberry Pi 2 from the SD card the Windows logo shows up with the spinning balls below.

After a while, the Windows logo disappears, the spinning balls continue to spin for some seconds, then they freeze up looking like in the attached image below.

However, it seems that Windows isn't completely frozen because I can ping the RPi and access the Windows Device Portal on port 8080, although it is very slow and I can't start any of the demonstration apps (even "Hello World").

Another thing to note is that the device name and password I set in Dashboard has not been set, as "My Devices" in Dashboard shows the default device name ("minwinpc") and I must use the default password ("[email protected]") to log on to the Device Portal.

So it seems that some Windows services are started, but not everything since the circles hang during boot and I don't get the default view.

I'm running from a class 10 SD card, and my power supply can deliver up to 2.4A, so it doesn't seem like there should be a problem with either of these.

How can I have my RPi2 start Windows Iot properly?

"Anything one man can imagine other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 hangs during Windows IoT boot

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:57 pm

gthvidsten wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm
I've downloaded the Windows 10 IoT Core Dashboard and set up an SD card according to the instructions on that site. When booting my Raspberry Pi 2 from the SD card the Windows logo shows up with the spinning balls below.

After a while, the Windows logo disappears, the spinning balls continue to spin for some seconds, then they freeze up looking like in the attached image below.

However, it seems that Windows isn't completely frozen because I can ping the RPi and access the Windows Device Portal on port 8080, although it is very slow and I can't start any of the demonstration apps (even "Hello World").

Another thing to note is that the device name and password I set in Dashboard has not been set, as "My Devices" in Dashboard shows the default device name ("minwinpc") and I must use the default password ("[email protected]") to log on to the Device Portal.

So it seems that some Windows services are started, but not everything since the circles hang during boot and I don't get the default view.

I'm running from a class 10 SD card, and my power supply can deliver up to 2.4A, so it doesn't seem like there should be a problem with either of these.

How can I have my RPi2 start Windows Iot properly?

What W10 IoT Core Release are you running ?

It may be prudent to ask MS to support:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forum ... WindowsIoT
Adieu

gthvidsten

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 pm

The dashboard only has one OS Build option: 17134
- Jules Verne

fruitoftheloom

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm

gthvidsten wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 pm
The dashboard only has one OS Build option: 17134

You may need the insider Preview release:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... windowsiot
Adieu

gthvidsten

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 am

You were right. The Insider Preview booted fully.

However, on every boot I received a 0xc000014c warning about corrupt boot sector (or something along those lines). I just left it at that screen for about a minute (maybe two), then Windows continued and started up correctly.
I occasionally had the same issue with the latest regular release as well, so it's not a preview specific issue.

In any case, I'm now able to boot and develop again, so thanks for the tip :)
- Jules Verne

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”