KevinSwansea

Isn't this in the wrong place?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Shouldn't the Windows 10 for IoT section be under Operating Systems rather than Other Programming Languages, since this is an Operating System?
Perhaps other programming languages could include a section for using Visual Studio 2017 for developing apps for Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi?

Regards

Kevin

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Isn't this in the wrong place?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 pm

There was a reason it was put here. I just cannot remember what that reason is.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

bensimmo

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 pm
There was a reason it was put here. I just cannot remember what that reason is.
Something to do with a sticky mentioning why it is here ;-)
Note that although Win10 IoT is an OS, because of its nature, the majority of people who use it will be programming for it, hence this is classified under the programming section.

I think, basically the OS just installs and you don't play with it.
Everything is done remotely from you PC and you program for it.
That and further OS advise, if there is a problem, would be on Microsoft IOT site or the Preview for testing versions.

KevinSwansea

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 pm

I seem to recall it being under Operating Systems previously, I came looking for the IoT information, didn't find it and then the search pointed me into Other Programming Languages, I just thought it seemed a little illogical.
I'm considering re-flashing my Pi3 to IoT and have a play with writing a UWP application. Does anyone know if Windows 10 IoT supports touchscreen with the Pi official touchscreen now, I found some reference to touch not working, but that was an old thread.

Heater

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Yes. It's totally stupid to have Windows 10 for IoT under "Other programming Languages". It's not a programming language. Everyone has been complaining about this for ages to no avail.

What makes it really bad is that when clicking on ""Other programming Languages" one is presented with "Windows 10 for IoT" and Wolfram (Which nobody uses) as headlines, nothing else is visible. If one does not think to scroll down one might think that is all there is. Actual "other languages" are lost.

Paeryn

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Heater wrote:
Yes. It's totally stupid to have Windows 10 for IoT under "Other programming Languages". It's not a programming language. Everyone has been complaining about this for ages to no avail.
Not everyone, and a reason was given as to why it is where it is.
Heater wrote:
What makes it really bad is that when clicking on ""Other programming Languages" one is presented with "Windows 10 for IoT" and Wolfram (Which nobody uses) as headlines, nothing else is visible. If one does not think to scroll down one might think that is all there is. Actual "other languages" are lost.
They aren't headlines they are subfora. Just because you don't use Wolfram doesn't mean nobody does.

When I look at the Other Programming Languages page those two subfora are in the middle of the page with the first of the topics clearly visible on the bottom and that nice handy visual device known as a scroll bar on the right hand side of the window clearly lets me know that there is plenty more below. Only so much information can exist on screen at a time and the layout is to list subfora before topics (which makes perfect sense), in this instance it so happens that those subfora are possibly less useful to the masses than the topics of the forum but to reorder them would mean altering the layout for every forum (I'm assuming all fora use the same template).

If you went to the Graphics Programming page would you also complain that only OpenGLES, OpenVG and OpenMAX are shown as those are the three subfora there even though a lot of posts aren't in those subfora?
She who travels light — forgot something.

hippy

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:20 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Note that although Win10 IoT is an OS, because of its nature, the majority of people who use it will be programming for it, hence this is classified under the programming section.
I think, basically the OS just installs and you don't play with it.
Everything is done remotely from you PC and you program for it.
On those ground Android should be moved to Other Programming Languages from Other Operating systems, though I wouldn't agree with that being done. "Windows IoT" is an Other Operating System, as acknowledged, and that's what most people will be expecting to find it under.

bensimmo

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm

hippy wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:20 pm
bensimmo wrote:
I think, basically, the OS just installs and you don't play with it.
Everything is done remotely from your PC and you program for it.
On those ground Android should be moved to Other Programming Languages from Other Operating systems, though I wouldn't agree with that being done. "Windows IoT" is an Other Operating System, as acknowledged, and that's what most people will be expecting to find it under.
If you said Android Things, I would agree.
But that forum section covers both Android and AndroidThings at the moment.

if they called it 'for Windows 10 IoT' as the title...

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”