Parth1234

How to find the IP of Pi 3 without monitor

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm

I have flashed windows 10 iot core on Micro SD card. I don't have monitor and I don't want to connect monitor to Pi3.

I am stuck with this link I am stuck with this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... device/ssh,

AS mention in link I need to Enter IP address of Pi3 in putty software but I don't understand how to get the IP without connecting monitor to Pi

fred44nl

Re: How to find the IP of Pi 3 without monitor

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 pm

you might be able to get the ip-adres from the dhcp-server in your router.

or you could install an IP-scanner: https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com
Last edited by fred44nl on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headless RPi 3B running from usbhdd.

hippy

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:33 pm

I am not familiar with Windows IoT but on other systems which are running it is possible to include some sort of server which can respond to broadcast requests so things can remotely identify them. Maybe there is such a thing for Windows IoT ?

B.Goode

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Nothing special about Win10IoT being the Operating System.

If you are not in a position to interrogate the Operating System on the RPi, other options are documented by the Raspberry Pi Foundation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... address.md

Parth1234

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 pm

B.Goode wrote:

If you are not in a position to interrogate the Operating System on the RPi, other options are documented by the Raspberry Pi Foundation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... address.md
I read the document you posted and I checked IP address by installing them but it's not getting ip address of PI.

I have checked wih NMAP COMMAND and Fing network tool

Both are showing the ip of other devices but not showing ip of raspberry Pi.

PiGraham

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Check your router DHCP server. It will list what devices it has assigned IP addresses to.

Use an IP scanner, I've used AngryIP scanner. They ping a range of addresses and report which addresses respond. At worst that should give you a small number of addresses to try.

If you have another machine that can hook up to the Pi serial port UART you could probably see an IP address reported in the outpute there. You can log over serial on Raspbian and may be able to do the same on Win10 IOT.

The basic option is to temporarily connect to a display, find the IP address then reboot headless. You should get the same IP address.

B.Goode

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Parth1234 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 pm
B.Goode wrote:

I read the document you posted and I checked IP address by installing them but it's not getting ip address of PI.

I have checked wih NMAP COMMAND and Fing network tool

Both are showing the ip of other devices but not showing ip of raspberry Pi.

Maybe your RPi has not booted Win10IoT correctly? If it is not running an Operating System it won't have a valid IP address.

Perhaps you could troubleshoot your network connection and diagnostic tools by temporarily installing an unmodified version of Raspbian?

Is your RPi connected via an Ethernet cable? Have you tested the cable with another known working device?

PiGraham

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Parth1234 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm
I have flashed windows 10 iot core on Micro SD card. I don't have monitor.
You don't have a TV either, or know someone who has one you can use for 10 minutes? You would make things easier for yourself if you temporarily connect the Pi to a display so you can verify it is booting.

If your router is not showing an IP assigned to a Pi there's a good chance the Pi is either not booting or it's not connected to the network.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm

minwinpc might be the name of it.

did you use the dashboard to set it up.
is it a Pi3 or 3b+?

DougieLawson

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Is it wired to your router or are you assuming it's going to connect to your WiFi without any credentials?

If it's wired and booted you should be able to find it with Fing, NMAP or advanced IP scanner (or any other LAN scanner).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Parth1234

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 pm

PiGraham wrote:

You don't have a TV either, or know someone who has one you can use for 10 minutes? You would make things easier for yourself if you temporarily connect the Pi to a display so you can verify it is booting.

If your router is not showing an IP assigned to a Pi there's a good chance the Pi is either not booting or it's not connected to the network.
I have checked raspbian and windows 10 iot core with TV but it show the no signal.

I spend a lot of time to troubleshoot but I couldn't resolve problem
bensimmo wrote:

is it a Pi3 or 3b+?
I am using dashboard
DougieLawson wrote:
Is it wired to your router or are you assuming it's going to connect to your WiFi without any credentials?

If it's wired and booted you should be able to find it with Fing, NMAP or advanced IP scanner (or any other LAN scanner).
I am using wifi connection

But dashboard show one device found
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 413 times

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Parth1234 wrote:
PiGraham wrote:

I have checked raspbian and windows 10 iot core with TV but it show the no signal.

bensimmo wrote:

is it a Pi3 or 3b+?
I am using dashboard
DougieLawson wrote:

pic1.jpg

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... innowboard
Adieu

bensimmo

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Parth1234 wrote:
PiGraham wrote:

bensimmo wrote:

is it a Pi3 or 3b+?
I am using dashboard
DougieLawson wrote:

pic1.jpg
that's the device in setup AP mode iirc. connect to that, then configure from there.

edit, / fruitoftheloom shows the instructions I would have thought you are following. saves me looking for them again :-)

this is the part you might have missed.
If you haven't connected and display and would like to connect via Wi-Fi, you'll need to:

Go to the IoT Dashboard and click on My Devices.
Find your unconfigured board from the list. Its name will begin with "AJ_"... (e.g. AJ_58EA6C68). If you don't see your board appear after a few minutes, try rebooting your board.
Click on Configure Device and enter your network credentials. This will connect your board to the network

Parth1234

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 pm
this is the part you might have missed.
I followed that instruction , see the picture in previous post, that show one device found and name of device

bensimmo

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:12 pm

So what's the problem, you have the device and IP address there ?

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”