abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 3:29 am

I have been successfully installed headless rasbain on Pi3. I am trying to install Headless windows 10 iot core on raspberry Pi3. I have laptop installing windows 10.

How to install Headless windows 10 iot core on raspberry Pi3?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 33624
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 am

If it is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ you'll need the beta version of Win10IoT.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 5:00 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 am
If it is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ you'll need the beta version of Win10IoT.
I have raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2, I have flashed windows 10 iot core into SD card with dashboard. How to get laptop screen to setup windows 10 iot core on Raspberry Pi 3

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 am

abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:00 am
DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 am
If it is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ you'll need the beta version of Win10IoT.
I have raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2, I have flashed windows 10 iot core into SD card with dashboard. How to get laptop screen to setup windows 10 iot core on Raspberry Pi 3

Windows 10 IoT does not work the same as Raspbian, it is an Operating System where your App is deployed to the RPi:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... /tutorials

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... evicesetup


Fundamentals are additionally a Windows 10 Desktop Machine and Visual Studio 2017.....
Adieu

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 am

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... evicesetup
Fundamentals are additionally a Windows 10 Desktop Machine and Visual Studio 2017.....
I have loaded windows 10 iot core into SD card and I have connected the card into raspberry Pi without display. I want to use my laptop screen for raspberry Pi. I am stuck here.

I looked the information in second link for wireless connection but that's not working for me.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 33624
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am

You'll need Visual Studio 2017 on your laptop - to build applications for Win10IoT.
You'll need your Raspberry connected to a TV or HDMI/DVI monitor.

You CAN NOT connect your Raspberry HDMI to your laptop, that does NOT work.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 am

abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 am

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... evicesetup
Fundamentals are additionally a Windows 10 Desktop Machine and Visual Studio 2017.....
I have loaded windows 10 iot core into SD card and I have connected the card into raspberry Pi without display. I want to use my laptop screen for raspberry Pi. I am stuck here.

I looked the information in second link for wireless connection but that's not working for me.

Please read through the MS website linked and discover what MS Windows 10 IoT is, as I said before forget about Raspbian this OS is a different beast !!

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forum ... WindowsIoT
Adieu

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am
You'll need your Raspberry connected to a TV or HDMI/DVI monitor. You CAN NOT connect your Raspberry HDMI to your laptop, that does NOT work.
feeling very sad because I don't have Desktop HDMI/DVI monitor and TV monitor. That's the reason I am trying to setup headless Pi.

I thought I did setup headless Pi with rasbain so I can do it with windows 10 iot core.

Is there any option to control remotely without buying new monitor ?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 10:05 am

abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am
DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am
You'll need your Raspberry connected to a TV or HDMI/DVI monitor. You CAN NOT connect your Raspberry HDMI to your laptop, that does NOT work.
feeling very sad because I don't have Desktop HDMI/DVI monitor and TV monitor. That's the reason I am trying to setup headless Pi.

I thought I did setup headless Pi with rasbain so I can do it with windows 10 iot core.

Is there any option to control remotely without buying new monitor ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... adlessmode

Please note you can find everything about W10 IoT Core on their website including support.
Adieu

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 33624
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 12:10 pm

abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am
Is there any option to control remotely without buying new monitor ?
Win10IoT runs a rudimentary website on port 80. I don't know how much control it gives you as I've never looked. DVI monitors and a HDMI to DVI cables are not expensive. You may find a usable monitor at a thrift shop or on Freecycle.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 1:23 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:10 pm
abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am
Is there any option to control remotely without buying new monitor ?
Win10IoT runs a rudimentary website on port 80. I don't know how much control it gives you as I've never looked. DVI monitors and a HDMI to DVI cables are not expensive. You may find a usable monitor at a thrift shop or on Freecycle.
Okay I am trying to connect with TV monitor but monitor show no signal on the screen. I don't have HDMI cable monitor

TV --------- VGA cable ---- (VGA to HDMI cable)-------- PI3

Can you help me to connect TV

B.Goode
Posts: 6356
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 1:32 pm

Just for diagnostic and troubleshooting purposes I would suggest going back to a standard installation of Raspbian Stretch and get your display connected and configured under that accessible and configurable scenario first, and then use the experience gained to reuse the same display with the less flexible Win10IoT.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 pm

abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:23 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:10 pm
abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am
Is there any option to control remotely without buying new monitor ?
Win10IoT runs a rudimentary website on port 80. I don't know how much control it gives you as I've never looked. DVI monitors and a HDMI to DVI cables are not expensive. You may find a usable monitor at a thrift shop or on Freecycle.
Okay I am trying to connect with TV monitor but monitor show no signal on the screen. I don't have HDMI cable monitor

TV --------- VGA cable ---- (VGA to HDMI cable)-------- PI3

Can you help me to connect TV

A HDMi to VGA Cable will NOT work, you need a convertor like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E8DD6J6/ ... 652835713/
Adieu

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:32 pm
Just for diagnostic and troubleshooting purposes I would suggest going back to a standard installation of Raspbian Stretch and get your display connected and configured under that accessible and configurable scenario first, and then use the experience gained to reuse the same display with the less flexible Win10IoT.
I have tried with Raspbian but the same issue "NO siganal"

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Wed May 30, 2018 2:45 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 pm
Win10IoT runs a rudimentary website on port 80. I don't know how much control it gives you as I've never looked. DVI monitors and a HDMI to DVI cables are not expensive. You may find a usable monitor at a thrift shop or on Freecycle.

A HDMi to VGA Cable will NOT work, you need a convertor like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E8DD6J6/ ... 652835713/
Thanks guys I appreciate all of your help

@fruitoftheloom exactly I have the same cable in white color

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 2:21 am

if windows 10 iot core is installed on raspberry Pi3 and Pi3 is not connected with display. Is it possible to control led connected to Pi.
I am thinking to write C# code on visual studio in laptop. then I have to connect pi remotely to my laptop. I will deploy code on Pi remotely using my laptop. I can get IP address of PI using advanced IP scanner. I don't think i need display because I am using laptop to write the code. so if I don't connect display with monitor that should not be big matter

Is it possible, can I do that ?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 am

abhi143 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:21 am
if windows 10 iot core is installed on raspberry Pi3 and Pi3 is not connected with display. Is it possible to control led connected to Pi.
I am thinking to write C# code on visual studio in laptop. then I have to connect pi remotely to my laptop. I will deploy code on Pi remotely using my laptop. I can get IP address of PI using advanced IP scanner. I don't think i need display because I am using laptop to write the code. so if I don't connect display with monitor that should not be big matter

Is it possible, can I do that ?

Did I not provide a link for Headless ????
Adieu

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 am

abhi143 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:45 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 pm
Win10IoT runs a rudimentary website on port 80. I don't know how much control it gives you as I've never looked. DVI monitors and a HDMI to DVI cables are not expensive. You may find a usable monitor at a thrift shop or on Freecycle.

A HDMi to VGA Cable will NOT work, you need a convertor like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E8DD6J6/ ... 652835713/
Thanks guys I appreciate all of your help

@fruitoftheloom exactly I have the same cable in white color

That is a Convertor not a Cable :shock:
Adieu

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 am
Is it possible, can I do that ?
Did I not provide a link for Headless ????
[/quote]

Okay I am following the this link to test [*]https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/led-on-and-off/

How to ensure that Pi is connected remotely to laptop ?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 6:32 am

abhi143 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 am
Is it possible, can I do that ?
Did I not provide a link for Headless ????
Okay I am following the this link to test [*]https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/led-on-and-off/

How to ensure that Pi is connected remotely to laptop ?
[/quote]


Posting link again:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... adlessmode
Adieu

abhi143
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:32 am
Posting link again:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... adlessmode
I followed this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... device/SSH

I started Putty and entered my Raspberry IP Address. It prompted me login. I typed "Administrator" as my username and default passworwd "[email protected]" . I get access denied.

I even entered New Administrator name and password during setup. They both give me error "Access is denied"

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17300
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Headless windows 10 iot core installation problem

Thu May 31, 2018 3:48 pm

abhi143 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:32 am
Posting link again:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... adlessmode
I followed this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... device/SSH

I started Putty and entered my Raspberry IP Address. It prompted me login. I typed "Administrator" as my username and default passworwd "[email protected]" . I get access denied.

I even entered New Administrator name and password during setup. They both give me error "Access is denied"

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forum ... WindowsIoT
Adieu

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests