AndrewB

Project requiring ePaper HAT with IoT library

Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi,

I'd like to build a device to integrate with our Tado central heating controller, for displaying history of heat demand etc.

Some sort of ePaper / eInk display would be ideal: low-power, in a HAT on a Pi Zero form factor perhaps.

Does anybody know of any such display which comes with a library for driving it from Windows 10 IoT? Either by:
  • .NET assembly that could be imported into a C# project... (perfect world)
  • Driven purely from GPIO, rather than relying upon a library, with sufficient documentation.
  • Any other solution you could think of..?
Obviously, Python on Raspbian would be an easier way to do it, but I'm already familiar with (and enjoy developing in) C#, so thought it would be fun to try the Windows 10 IoT route first.

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Project requiring ePaper HAT with IoT library

Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 am

AndrewB wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 pm
Hi,

I'd like to build a device to integrate with our Tado central heating controller, for displaying history of heat demand etc.

Some sort of ePaper / eInk display would be ideal: low-power, in a HAT on a Pi Zero form factor perhaps.

Does anybody know of any such display which comes with a library for driving it from Windows 10 IoT? Either by:
  • .NET assembly that could be imported into a C# project... (perfect world)
  • Driven purely from GPIO, rather than relying upon a library, with sufficient documentation.
  • Any other solution you could think of..?
Obviously, Python on Raspbian would be an easier way to do it, but I'm already familiar with (and enjoy developing in) C#, so thought it would be fun to try the Windows 10 IoT route first.

Thanks!

Windows 10 IoT is only supported on RPi 2B & 3B:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... getstarted

Whatever eInk display you use you will have to write a Universal Driver:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ercreation
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

AndrewB

Re: Project requiring ePaper HAT with IoT library

Mon May 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Just for clarity, I'm not necessarily looking to address it as a video device. If there was some way of rendering a bit image in .NET and then shifting it out across some GPIO pins, then that would be perfect.

Has anybody used any kind of small form-factor screen, attached as a HAT, with IoT?

I guess it doesn't have to be eInk / ePaper if the Pi / IoT ecosystem isn't geared up for that.

Thanks

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”