mdredmond

Windows 10 IoT on Compute Module 3

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I intend to run Windows 10 IoT on the Compute Module 3. Since it's the guts of a Pi3 I expect it to run, but I need access to the second serial port on the module. I know that drivers are supplied in the BSP for the Pi3 but modifying the ACPI tables (to remove the bluetooth and add the second serial port) and rebuilding the OS feels a bit over my head.

Is anyone at Pi planning to do this? Has anyone here done this? Does anyone here know *how* to do this?

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Windows 10 IoT on Compute Module 3

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm

mdredmond wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm
I intend to run Windows 10 IoT on the Compute Module 3. Since it's the guts of a Pi3 I expect it to run, but I need access to the second serial port on the module. I know that drivers are supplied in the BSP for the Pi3 but modifying the ACPI tables (to remove the bluetooth and add the second serial port) and rebuilding the OS feels a bit over my head.

Is anyone at Pi planning to do this? Has anyone here done this? Does anyone here know *how* to do this?

Thanks!

Windows 10 IoT Core is a Microsoft Product and they have their own Support Forum !!
Adieu

mdredmond

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Windows 10 IoT Core is a Microsoft Product and they have their own Support Forum !!
For better or worse, Microsoft has Board Support Packages and drivers the responsibility of hardware manufacturers.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 pm

mdredmond wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
For better or worse, Microsoft has Board Support Packages and drivers the responsibility of hardware manufacturers.

RPT/RPF do provide the required "driver / firmware / etcetera", as was discussed somewhere in these forums when IoT Core was first released.

Microsoft decide whether or not to implement in their Operating System various features.......

......the CM3 is not " Officially Supported"

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... lectdevice
Adieu

mdredmond

Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Ok. Yes I see the drivers exist and I have some high-level guidance from MS on how to do this. I was just hoping to not have to build an entire operating system image myself.

MS really needs to get their stuff together if they want IoT Core to go anywhere beyond hobbyists. We have a small (800 unit) commercial application that the CM3 is perfect for and our developers are C#/.NET guys, so that's what is driving this.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”