esbg2

CM3 + CM3 IO Board Windows IoT fails to boot properly

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm

First off I don't consider this to be a compute module issue. I can boot every other operating system but Windows IoT. Just wanted to try it out as it is a good fit to our eco system. I have this issue up on the MSDN board also see link: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT

Basically what is happening is that I flash Windows IoT to the compute module. I've used dism, win32diskimager, sd card formatter, noobs and a whole host of home grown testing methods. I have the same issue every time. Windows IoT boots to some default boot screen with 3 options:

I don't want to start a huge drawn out conversation with two posts. I just wanted to here from this side of the community to see if they have experienced this. Thank you for your time.

esbg2

Re: CM3 + CM3 IO Board Windows IoT fails to boot properly

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 pm

I think the answer to this question is that the CM3 with 4GB internal eMMC won't boot Window's IOT. But the CM3 Lite will.

The IoT image will apply successfully without error to the CM3 but when you boot it you end up with some boot screen that I can't really find documentation on inside Windows IoT. It looks like the image created all it's partitions and folders with a little space to spare but something is wrong and the only thing I can think of is the 4GB limitation. Microsoft does recommend 8 but the CM3 showed up as compatible.

Now NEC sells the CM with a 16GB eMMC and my guess would be that it would boot Windows IoT just fine. I'm sure someone will have that confirmed down the road but for now the LITE does everything I need for prototyping.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”