Gerhard62

Garbage data on UARTs

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 am

Hi there!

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi 3 project to read out smart meter data via an IR-Probe. That probe connects to a serial interface and gives an ASCII character stream at 960,7,E,1.

I tried both USB to UART and the internal UART, and the result is the same on both channels. Some characters that I receive are correct, but there is a lot of garbage characters in the stream. And I get much more characters as it should be there.

My code for serial port reading is identical to the sample: https://github.com/ms-iot/samples/tree/ ... ialUART/CS
Package manifest capabilities are set correctly and there is no exception thrown, so the code itself looks to run well.

One additional information: When I connect the USB to serial adapter to a normal windows PC and use a terminal program, the received stream is perfect what it should be, no disturbances and no garbage at all.

Does anyone have hints?

Thank you,
Gerhard

beta-tester

Re: Garbage data on UARTs

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:55 am

do you have an oscilloscope, to see, what there is physically going on, on the serial line?
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”