tsaG

Rotate 7" Touch Display 90°

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:10 am

Hi,

I want to use my Raspberry Pi 7" Touch display in Portrait mode.

It worked if I use display_rotate, but then the touchscreen is not rotated and all touch gestures are 90° off.

I then tried to use lcd_rotate but this is just flipping the screen from widescreen to widescreen 180°.

Since this problem also occurs on Linux, I think this a raspberry problem, not a windows 10. Also, the EFI part comes from raspberry, correct?

Is there already a fix for that (maybe an updated EFI which was not inplemented into the latest 14342 insider preview)?

Thanks!

Here is my thread in the Windows forum:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... f=required

and there is the Thread in the raspberry Forum. Since the Fix is Unix only, Im looking for a more general approach:
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=120793

Thanks!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Rotate 7" Touch Display 90°

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:21 pm

and there is the Thread in the raspberry Forum. Since the Fix is Unix only, Im looking for a more general approach:
You mean you are looking for a Win10IOT specific approach.
moved to WIN10IOT forum.

tsaG

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:41 pm

No,

Im looking for a general bug fix. Since the Unix "solution" is just a walkaround as well.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:09 am

you are not asking about any hardware problems, you are asking for a driver for a WIN10IOT, thus for software suitable for WIN10IOT.
Meaning only other WIN10IOT users can help you.
There is no such thing as a platform agnostic ("generic") driver.
it up to Microsoft to provide one for their platform.

tsaG

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Well, the first two stages (and maybe the third as well (?)) are handling the initializtation of the GPU and Display Port, they are located in the rom, the last stage reads the config.txt file (and is located on the SD?)
After this, the windows/or linux kernel is loaded, but here the display is already set up. Thats also why you have to restart everytime you change the config.txt.

It is also mentioned on the Raspberry website:
This [file] is read by the GPU before the ARM CPU and Linux are initialised [...]
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

http://wiki.beyondlogic.org/index.php?t ... ot_Process

Please correct me if Im wrong. Im new in this ARM / Raspberry world :|

rpdom

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:32 pm

tsaG wrote:Well, the first two stages (and maybe the third as well (?)) are handling the initializtation of the GPU and Display Port, they are located in the rom,
The code that does that is all on the SD card.
After this, the windows/or linux kernel is loaded, but here the display is already set up. Thats also why you have to restart everytime you change the config.txt.
The display is set up. The touch screen isn't. That is what needs drivers. In your case that would be Win10IoT drivers that support rotation of the touch coordinates.

tsaG

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:12 pm

Well, LCD_rotate just flips the display 180°, so it doesnt do what it is supposed to do,in windows and Linux (display_rotate works)...

display_rotate rotates the display, as it should. lcd_rotate just flips the display and the touchmask in 180° steps. I think there is something wrong in the handover between kernel and bootloader (?), or at least lcd_rotate doesnt do what it is supposed to do.

rpdom

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:53 pm

lcd_rotate was set up to address the issue of the displays being mounted "upside-down" initially. All it needed to do was to be able to rotate the display and touch panel 180 degrees.

display_rotate was implemented much earlier than lcd_rotate and provides options of rotating any display in 90 degree steps or performing horizontal and vertical flips. It doesn't affect the touch panel.

tsaG

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 am

Ah, Okay. I thought it was also meant to turn the display in a 90° angle. Is it possible to implement it? where is this handled? The rotation of the touch mask in 180° step works, so it would just be needed to set it to 90 instead of 180 degree steps :)

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”