tsaG

Windows 10 GUI programming

Sun May 22, 2016 7:54 am

Hi,

I have an application I wrote in Python using Tkinter on a raspberry Pi A+. Now I want to switch to a Raspberry Pi 3 with Windows 10 IOT on it.

I have programmed several Windows Apps which are so much easier to program the IDE using the Toolbox elements (Buttons, Labels etc.), is this also possible for Windows IOT?

If so, which template do I have to choose then? Does it work with the Windows Forms Application? I dont know if I start in C++ oder C#, but I find favour with C#, since there are so many code samples available.

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Windows 10 GUI programming

Sun May 22, 2016 8:05 am

tsaG wrote:Hi,

I have an application I wrote in Python using Tkinter on a raspberry Pi A+. Now I want to switch to a Raspberry Pi 3 with Windows 10 IOT on it.

I have programmed several Windows Apps which are so much easier to program the IDE using the Toolbox elements (Buttons, Labels etc.), is this also possible for Windows IOT?

If so, which template do I have to choose then? Does it work with the Windows Forms Application? I dont know if I start in C++ oder C#, but I find favour with C#, since there are so many code samples available.

Thanks!
FYI Windows 10 IoT Core does support Python

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

tsaG

Mon May 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Yeah, but I want to get rid of the inefficient and slow python...

So, no one started program a GUI yet? :o

ghans

Thu May 26, 2016 8:32 am

Windows 10 IoT does not support "Windows" or WinForms
at all AFAIK. It's UWP only which uses a new GUI toolkit.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Crommi

Fri May 27, 2016 11:25 pm

tsaG wrote:I have programmed several Windows Apps which are so much easier to program the IDE using the Toolbox elements (Buttons, Labels etc.), is this also possible for Windows IOT?
Yes, Universal Windows template in VS comes with Toolbox elements, so it's pretty easy to create a GUI.

tsaG

Sat May 28, 2016 10:46 am

So, just an update.

I just sold my soul to microsoft (installed windows 10) and started developing for IOT.

I created an universal app which can directly run on the Pi. Selecting the MainPage.xaml in Visual Studio opens the Graphical interface designer where you can drag and drop all the items from the toolbox (Labels, buttons etc.) just as easy as an ordinary windows desktop program.

-tsaG

HjFap

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:27 am

Hello, I need some help!
I have a raspberry pi 3 model, with the raspbian OS installed, and i'm trying to make GUI menu with some buttons, and when i click it will start applications installed on the raspbian, like Kodi, Libre Office and others or a page browser.
But the problem is that I can't make it. I already tried the Glade and it didn't allow me to do what i want
Does phython works for this??

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

HjFap wrote:Hello, I need some help!
I have a raspberry pi 3 model, with the raspbian OS installed, and i'm trying to make GUI menu with some buttons, and when i click it will start applications installed on the raspbian, like Kodi, Libre Office and others or a page browser.
But the problem is that I can't make it. I already tried the Glade and it didn't allow me to do what i want

Thanks
Yes you do need help but hijacking a Post regarding Windows 10 IoT Core with a totally unrelated requested is not the ideal way to do so
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:09 pm

HjFap wrote:Hello, I need some help!

Thanks
Please start a new thread with your question.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”