deomel

Cannot connect using Windows IoT Remote Client

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:09 am

Hi - any help appreciated. I installed version 10.0.14295.1000 on a RPi2, and I enabled the Windows IoT Remote Server. The message I read is "Windows IoT Remote Server is enabled at boot and currently running".

When I try to connect using the Windows IoT Remote Client, it does not work an stays just with a blank screen. No error message. I tried to type he RPi2's IP address or using the name an IP detected in the drop down list. None works.

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Cannot connect using Windows IoT Remote Client

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:26 am

deomel wrote:Hi - any help appreciated.

Personally, I might try starting here.

:roll:
marcus
:ugeek:

deomel

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:27 am

Hi Marcus

Thanks for your help. That's where I started, a while ago. Everything works, the only thing that doesn't work at this point is the Windows IoT Remote Client capability. Tested from two Windows 10 desktops, none of them worked.

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:41 am

deomel wrote:Tested from two Windows 10 desktops, none of them worked.
That does not surprise me, frankly. I know there are folks using it, so it must work, but I regret I cannot tell you why yours is not working <sorry, really>.

I have not used Microsoft products of any kind since about 1998, so that is my bias.

At this point the only reason I can see for even using Win10 core for IoT is that the person, maybe you, is a dyed-in-the-wool windows developer (on a windows platform of some kind) and they want to do IoT with Raspberry PI without a learning curve? Otherwise, I can't see why anyone would use it frankly speaking. IMHO pairing technologies like [ imac Swift & Raspbian ] or [ Gnu+Linux & Raspbian ] using Python or C|C++ (whatever) is a better development solution (even with a learning curve) than getting Micro$oft involved.

I know that the Raspberry PI foundation is very excited about Micro$oft and IBM getting involved with IoT core from the Enterprise perspective; but, I think even the RPF is barking up the wrong tree in this regard.

Win10 IoT should just work... if it doesn't they shouldn't be in the game. Raspbian just works. Apple just works. Mint gnu+linux just works... you see my point? You shouldn't be having the problems you're having; the right way to go is to place this on the front porch of good 'ol Micro$oft and tell them to get their game aligned or get out!

Well, don't mean to be discouraging. Best of luck with Win10 IoT core.
marcus
:ugeek:

MarinaMT

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:40 am

Do you have the Raspberry in headless mode?

DougieLawson

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:20 am

Are you sure you're using the right IP address? Do you have your RPi wired to your router as not all WiFi dongles are supported? The RPi running Win10IoT displays it's current IP address on the home screen (as long as you're not running headless).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Eul0gy

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:51 am

dunno if this helps,

i currently have a laptop which is connected to a docking station and wired network connection and the remote desktop doesn't work, but when i disconnect and go wireless it works fine.

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:29 am

Is your wired connection connected to the same router?

Take a look with ipconfig /all on Windows.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

bertg

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:33 am

I had the same issue with my RPi3, but it worked fine with my RPi2. Other than one is a 3 and the other a 2, the only other difference was the RPi3 had a TFT display. Once I physically disconnected the display on the RPi3, I was able to connect with the remote client.

At this point, I decided to validate my theory that the display was the issue. I took the RPi2, and connected an HDMI monitor, and the remote client continued to work. I then connected the same display to the RPi3, and I saw the same issue. I did not try connecting the TFT display to the RPi2.

In short, when a display was connected to the RPi3, the remote client did not work, but when it was disconnected (and rebooted), the remote client works. However, with the RPi2, it did not appear to matter if a display was connected.

Hope this helps.

afterburner

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 am

I had the same problems ... I found that if I switched to the regular windows 10 code (instead of the developer core)
it worked. not sure if the switch was the reason or just a reset did the trick but it is working now.
cheers

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”