sgtmiller

Getting Windows 10 on SD Card

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:20 am

Geez..I thought this would be simple but thus far I have had no luck with getting the .iso image of Windows 10 Core on an SD card for my Pi. I use a Mac and the Disk Utility is not being reasonable, so I'm wondering if there is a simple, free program out there to accomplish this task?

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

drgeoff

Re: Getting Windows 10 on SD Card

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:24 pm

When you do succeed you may wonder why you bothered. :)

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:27 pm

sgtmiller wrote:Geez..I thought this would be simple but thus far I have had no luck with getting the .iso image of Windows 10 Core on an SD card for my Pi. I use a Mac and the Disk Utility is not being reasonable, so I'm wondering if there is a simple, free program out there to accomplish this task?

You have to undertake as per Microsoft Instructions for Windows 10 IoT Core, please see the following:

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/GetStarted.htm

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/RPI.htm

viewforum.php?f=105
Retired disgracefully.....

QuietZone

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Hard to understand how/why a Mac person would want to mess around with Windoze.

Wouldn't Linux be a lot more like what you are used to?
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody come sit next to me." — Alice Roosevelt Longworth

ricl

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Please see the forum rules about Windows 10 Core IoT discussions.

I am certain that both Ma and Linux are fine platforms.

We are not talking about that here.
Thank you
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

haroldpulcher

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:56 pm

sgtmiller wrote:Geez..I thought this would be simple but thus far I have had no luck with getting the .iso image of Windows 10 Core on an SD card for my Pi. I use a Mac and the Disk Utility is not being reasonable, so I'm wondering if there is a simple, free program out there to accomplish this task?

Just guessing but are you trying write the .iso you downloaded from the iot site onto an SD card?

If so, it doesn't work that way. That .iso contains among other things Flash.ffu, installation tools for the .ffu, and the SDK.

The .ffu is what you want to write to the SD card. This is not just a straight forward .img. It is specialized format that a number of embedded manufacturers use to flash their devices.

There is a Python script floating around that will do that conversion for you.

Saying all of that, the "easiest" way is to use your mac and spool up a vm of Windows 10 and just install the .iso there.

You will need Visual Studio running somewhere as well. Ok, I guess if you are writing node or some such, but why limit yourself. :)

Harold

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”