rghubert

How to replace IotCoreDefaultApp startup permanently. It ret

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:51 am

Using the newest Windows-10 Iot-Core on a RaspberryPi, I can replace the (single) headed startup/default App via PowerShell command "IotStartup add headed" or I can use the AppXManager to achieve the same. Then I reboot, and the new default/startup headed app appears in the AppXManager as it should.

Sometime later, my Watchdog headless process (background task) then decides to reboot (using ShutdownManager.BeginShutdown(ShutdownKind.Restart, new TimeSpan(0));). After the reboot, the DEFAULT/ORIGINAL IotCoreDefaultApp is sometimes (but not always!) returned to its status as startup app and the headed startup app that I explicitly setup is not started.

**How can I assure then IoT-Core does not (sometimes) replace my headed-startup app with the default one upon reboot?** I'd prefer not to delete the IoTCoreDefaultApp permanently at this stage in development.

ricl

Re: How to replace IotCoreDefaultApp startup permanently. It

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:34 am

In fact even removing it does not seem to stop its semi zombie like behaviour. If you replace the built-in Default app with your own, any BSOD or even a restart can mean that the default app gets unpacked and re-installed to replace yours.

If you have no errors in use, the re-boot seems more reliable and the newly chosen app will more likely remain as the default.

In my case, the replacement happens some time after the re-boot (10-30 secs) and it may be due to the fact that I have removed the AllJoin stuff from my default app as well as the device.
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

rghubert

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:28 pm

OMG. I can understand the occasional bug in a new product, but this makes the product essentially unusable in its current state. More significantly, it is a huge BUG, since all of the documentation describes a different (and logical) behavior.

Who has some clout and where can we escalate this to get a FAST fix? before I'm forced to return to .netmf...

UndergroundFun

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

That kind of sounds like it's having a problem actually saving the configuration.

I had some really flaky behaviors that were fixed when I simply re-flashed the card with the OS again.

rghubert

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

I don't think it is that simple, since I also used the PowerShell commands, not just the web XAppManager. It is a showstopper bug, since it is reproducible on multiple boards. Who knows the best place to report this?

ricl

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:01 pm

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT

I think you have already done that.
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

soerenporsgaard

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:30 am

I can confirm that this is a real issue - and I have not been able to find any workaround.
Please, who can help with this serious issue?

ricl

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Well my testing has revealed that, if your default application does not cause a problem, then your default app remains the bootup choice.

However if you BSOD the device during your application, then on reboot, you can get the original default app back in your place. This may be a defence mechanism to stop you getting the board into a permanent reboot loop.

soerenporsgaard

Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks for your reply.
I have deployed the IoTBrowser sample without any modification, and I still see the issue.
If I simply start the application manually, then the app runs perfectly and remains open.

I am using Windows 7 on my developer machine. Could this be the reason?

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”