festrada007

Run OS from USB drive

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:03 pm

I would like to be able to boot from the SD card, but have the operating system on the D: drive. It should be simple, I think.

stderr

Re: Run OS from USB drive

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:33 pm

festrada007 wrote:I would like to be able to boot from the SD card, but have the operating system on the D: drive. It should be simple, I think.
I'm not sure what a D: drive is, but you can mount various directories remotely even through sshfs.

kusti8

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:58 pm

stderr wrote:
festrada007 wrote:I would like to be able to boot from the SD card, but have the operating system on the D: drive. It should be simple, I think.
I'm not sure what a D: drive is, but you can mount various directories remotely even through sshfs.
Notice the Win10 IoT section of the forum.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

stderr

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:05 am

kusti8 wrote:
stderr wrote:
Notice the Win10 IoT section of the forum.
Where would I see that when I'm looking at New Messages?

I don't have Windows 10 IoT so I don't know if you can hack some way to run bits of it from different drives. Surely there must be a way though.

ricl

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:08 am

stderr wrote:I don't have Windows 10 IoT so I don't know if you can hack some way to run bits of it from different drives. Surely there must be a way though.
It is all rather non trivial in fact. First the GPU loads the bootup code. That then loads a windows boot file which then does the magic of unpacking Windows to the root directory you see as C: and starting the CPU in it. (the boot/original root directory actually ends up as the c:\EFIESP sub directory afterwards).

Making all that happen but getting the OS to agree to use another drive instead of C: is likely to require major internal adjustments to that process. Probably without Microsoft's help. Good luck.
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

stderr

Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:57 pm

ricl wrote:
stderr wrote:I don't have Windows 10 IoT so I don't know if you can hack some way to run bits of it from different drives. Surely there must be a way though.
It is all rather non trivial in fact.
Remarkably, though, under Linux, changing where the files are can just mean mounting directories that happen to exist remotely.
Making all that happen but getting the OS to agree to use another drive instead of C: is likely to require major internal adjustments to that process. Probably without Microsoft's help. Good luck.
If WIn10 doesn't allow control of the bulk of the files that are included in the boot process, it will have limited utility in serious uses. One important factor is boot times and that can require a lot of control over what is loading. It's not obviously clear to me though, I don't have Windows 10, why a similar mechanism as can be used under Linux couldn't also be used in this case. Can the pi Win code boot off a network?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:15 pm

stderr wrote:
ricl wrote:
It is all rather non trivial in fact.
Remarkably, though, under Linux, changing where the files are can just mean mounting directories that happen to exist remotely.
If WIn10 doesn't allow control of the bulk of the files that are included in the boot process, it will have limited utility in serious uses. One important factor is boot times and that can require a lot of control over what is loading. It's not obviously clear to me though, I don't have Windows 10, why a similar mechanism as can be used under Linux couldn't also be used in this case. Can the pi Win code boot off a network?
You seem to be under a mis-aprehension, IT IS NOT Windows 10 Desktop and is not aimed at 'everyday' users..........

IT IS Windows 10 IoT Core which is developed by Microsoft and therefore proprietary, for "Internet of Things" and as such has no comparision to Raspbian what-so-ever:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

stderr

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:55 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
stderr wrote: I don't have Windows 10, why a similar mechanism as can be used under Linux couldn't also be used in this case. Can the pi Win code boot off a network?
You seem to be under a mis-aprehension, IT IS NOT Windows 10 Desktop and is not aimed at 'everyday' users..........
I'm not sure what you think I'm mistaken about in this case, I know it isn't Win10 desktop.
IT IS Windows 10 IoT Core which is developed by Microsoft and therefore proprietary, for "Internet of Things" and as such has no comparision to Raspbian what-so-ever:
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. Windows IoT obviously isn't Raspbian. But the idea that you might be able to get it to run from different drives using the same ideas I used in Linux isn't claiming they are the same.

klricks

Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:18 pm

stderr wrote:...
Where would I see that when I'm looking at New Messages?

Change to the Prosilver theme in the UCP --> Board Preferences --> My Board Style. IMO much easier on the eyes. In Prosilver when viewing new posts, the path to current message is shown just under the phpBB banner.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:28 pm

stderr wrote: I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. Windows IoT obviously isn't Raspbian. But the idea that you might be able to get it to run from different drives using the same ideas I used in Linux isn't claiming they are the same.
I was trying to convey they are completely differing Operating System stuctures....

.....and aimed at a completely different audience !
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

ricl

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:07 pm

And there I was thinking that the Raspberry was aimed at getting people to learn and enjoy programming, from the very basics up.

Surely that is still the same audience, but now made wider to include a Windows programming experience. In that regard Windows 10 Core IoT does a good job.

As to complete customisation of all of the boot process, the problem is then of ensuring that other components are also aware, where necessary, of the changes of config prior to them. That all requires testing and the more choices you offer the longer the testing phase becomes.

Also the problem is coming up with a use case that makes a given scenario worth including and testing. So what is the use case for a different boot structure?
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

gordon77

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:16 pm

stderr wrote: Where would I see that when I'm looking at New Messages?

I don't have Windows 10 IoT so I don't know if you can hack some way to run bits of it from different drives. Surely there must be a way though.
I see the section by going to the bottom of the thread and it says jump to....

stderr

Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:24 pm

gordon77 wrote:
I now see a Return to and the name of the forum. But that doesn't tell me what it is in the new messages list and it requires me to go to the bottom of the thread to find out whether or not I'm responding to something about Win10 or Python or whatever. It is a flaw, don't you think?

gordon77

Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:30 pm

stderr wrote:
gordon77 wrote:
I now see a Return to and the name of the forum. But that doesn't tell me what it is in the new messages list and it requires me to go to the bottom of the thread to find out whether or not I'm responding to something about Win10 or Python or whatever. It is a flaw, don't you think?
Flaw or not it's always been the same, a bit frustrating.

mimi123

Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:06 pm

The EFI doesn't have USB drivers, ask Microsoft for why...
No, you can't do it.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”