Schorschi

Windows 10 IoT fails to load on Pi2?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:15 pm

I have a new Pi2, can load Debian Wheezy (latest version 5/2015) just fine, boots just fine. On the same Micro SD card, can (re)flash IoT image fine, seems to boot fine, but then IoT just hangs in an endless loop stating it is setting or preparing the system, that damn spinning circle of dots forever. I can see the Pi2 from Core Watcher, but I can't connect to it via SSH or PowerShell (Remote WMI). I have seen more than a few similar discussions on Google, about very similar issues, but many suggest that they did not use a 'good' Micro SD card, or not a class 10 card, well given that I can run Debian Wheezy fine and I know I have a good class 10 Micro SD card, not sure what else to try?

haroldpulcher

Re: Windows 10 IoT fails to load on Pi2?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I have seen some of these "good" class 10 cards now being advertised with the term "Legacy" in front of them.

Not all cards are created equal. Just because they boot a unix distro doesn't guarantee it will boot Windows 10, which appears to have tighter requirements.

JSingleton

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:43 pm

I've not had any issues although the first boot takes an incredibly long time. Not sure what it's doing. Subsequent boots aren't that much slower than Raspbian. I'm using a 32GB class 10 micro SD card (but only an 8GB partition as that's the image size). It's a cheap one from China and the performance isn't what I'd expect but it works.

I'd suggest trying a different card as Harold has said. You could also try flashing the card a different way. If you used desktop Windows 10 then you can follow my guide to convert the image and flash it from a different OS. Or vice versa. I've had success with both the official way on Win 10 and my way on Win 8.
Computing4Kids.com
@shutdownscanner
unop.uk

pgloor

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:27 pm

I had similar problems with a 8 GB card but there was a check each time shortly after I started booting. After reformatting the card with SDFormatter (FULL overwrite) and reapplying the flash.ffu, the device booted fine and without any errors. The first time it always takes a long time. Also make sure to always properly shutdown the Raspberry Pi before physically shutting the power off.

JSingleton

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Good advice. The shutdown takes ages on Win 10 so make sure that you wait for it to finish.
Computing4Kids.com
@shutdownscanner
unop.uk

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”