cdbean04

Windows 10 IOT

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi, I was hoping to get opinions of the new Windows 10 iot for raspberry pi 2 from people with some more experience and knowledge than I have. Is it just a worthless thing windows is pushing or does it actually have some real potential to be heavily used? Or any other thoughts about it?

mikronauts

Re: Windows 10 IOT

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm

It is for sensors etc., it is not a desktop or server os. For more details:

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... erry-pi-2/
cdbean04 wrote:Hi, I was hoping to get opinions of the new Windows 10 iot for raspberry pi 2 from people with some more experience and knowledge than I have. Is it just a worthless thing windows is pushing or does it actually have some real potential to be heavily used? Or any other thoughts about it?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:47 pm

cdbean04 wrote:Hi, I was hoping to get opinions of the new Windows 10 iot for raspberry pi 2 from people with some more experience and knowledge than I have. Is it just a worthless thing windows is pushing or does it actually have some real potential to be heavily used? Or any other thoughts about it?
As it is a MS Product why not ask MSDN users as they will likely have expeience of W10 IoT Core for ARM & x86

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=117926

Ccbean04 have reported this post as in wromg forum, there is a dedicated W10 IoT Forum where your question has been posed by other posters...
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:16 pm

moved to correct forum...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 am

please no personal attacks please. Also read the Windows 10 IOT sticky!
It is NOT for discussions of the merits and/or downsides of Win10 or Microsoft. Posts along those lines will be deleted without warning
deleted offending posts...

GerritV

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 am

To add something positive, yes it is a useful device/OS combination. My personal main goal is using the AllJoyn package that is preinstalled along with my own Xbee gateway that I am (very slowly) creating.
The main detractors for me at present are:
1- no drivers from FTDI for the VCP functionality of their FT232 series USB-Serial adapters.
2- Having to rely on SD card as a drive.This is IMO the biggest detractor to commercial scale use.

Further info on AllJoyn: https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/ ... llJoyn.htm

There are also pre-installed some POS drivers etc, which I have not bothered to find out more about.

I expect that WinIoT development will progress more rapidly now that Windows 10 is released. A published road map would help a lot. MSFT have a long history of supplying embedded products, this is the next version.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”