cdbean04

Windows 10 IOT

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi, I was hoping to get opinions of the new Windows 10 iot for raspberry pi 2 from people with some more experience and knowledge than I have. Is it just a worthless thing windows is pushing or does it actually have some real potential to be heavily used? Or any other thoughts about it?

mikronauts

Re: Windows 10 IOT

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm

It is for sensors etc., it is not a desktop or server os. For more details:

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... erry-pi-2/
cdbean04 wrote:Hi, I was hoping to get opinions of the new Windows 10 iot for raspberry pi 2 from people with some more experience and knowledge than I have. Is it just a worthless thing windows is pushing or does it actually have some real potential to be heavily used? Or any other thoughts about it?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:47 pm

cdbean04 wrote:Hi, I was hoping to get opinions of the new Windows 10 iot for raspberry pi 2 from people with some more experience and knowledge than I have. Is it just a worthless thing windows is pushing or does it actually have some real potential to be heavily used? Or any other thoughts about it?
As it is a MS Product why not ask MSDN users as they will likely have expeience of W10 IoT Core for ARM & x86

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=117926

Ccbean04 have reported this post as in wromg forum, there is a dedicated W10 IoT Forum where your question has been posed by other posters...
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:16 pm

moved to correct forum...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 am

please no personal attacks please. Also read the Windows 10 IOT sticky!
It is NOT for discussions of the merits and/or downsides of Win10 or Microsoft. Posts along those lines will be deleted without warning
deleted offending posts...

GerritV

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 am

To add something positive, yes it is a useful device/OS combination. My personal main goal is using the AllJoyn package that is preinstalled along with my own Xbee gateway that I am (very slowly) creating.
The main detractors for me at present are:
1- no drivers from FTDI for the VCP functionality of their FT232 series USB-Serial adapters.
2- Having to rely on SD card as a drive.This is IMO the biggest detractor to commercial scale use.

Further info on AllJoyn: https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/ ... llJoyn.htm

There are also pre-installed some POS drivers etc, which I have not bothered to find out more about.

I expect that WinIoT development will progress more rapidly now that Windows 10 is released. A published road map would help a lot. MSFT have a long history of supplying embedded products, this is the next version.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”