Visual Studio remote machine connection problem

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi there,

I have successfully:

1) Set up a laptop with Windows 10 Insider Preview
2) Installed Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition RC
3) Installed the Windows 10 tools for Visual Studio
4) Downloaded Windows 10 IoT Core, and flashed to the Micro SD card
5) Booted Windows 10 IoT Core on the Pi, and logged in, and got to the graphic screen with IP address etc
6) Can browse to the IP address and see the utilities page from the Pi.
7) Downloaded the Hello World project for the Javascript language.

The only problem now is that Visual Studio can't find the Remote Machine. As you can see from the screenshot, the debugger seems to be running on the Pi.

Here is a link to the screenshot:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... hoto%2cpng

(Moderators: 64KiB is too small even to attach a PNG screenshot)

I'm at a loss to understand why it can't connect....

Any ideas?

Paul

pdr0663

Re: Visual Studio remote machine connection problem

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:31 pm

I also hacked the registry to allow developer mode...

pdr0663

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10074.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Does PowerShell recognize the RPi ?

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/w ... rShell.htm
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Josiah_B

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:19 am

When you selected the remote machine, did you uncheck the "Use Windows Authentication" option?
Also, If you go to the App page in your web-browser, what apps are the Installed Apps drop down / combo Box?

pdr0663

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:52 am

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I can connect using PowerShell.

Josiah, I did try unchecking require authentication, and that worked. I'm able to deploy now.

I have another problem, but will ask in another post.

Thanks again,

Paul

kashken

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:57 pm

In the above discussion, uncheck of windows authentication is mentioned.

Just how do I get to that point where it can be unchedked?

I have selected remote device and it attempts to connect to that device but indicates the password does not match (thus, no download of may app to the device).

Please detail steps to uncheck windows authentication, or alternatively indicate with project file I can enter said specification so it doesn't have to be selected each time.

Alternatively, what password is it attempting to use. If that is the default, I will switch my Pi2 back to the default password.

Thanks.

kashken

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:11 pm

I have determined the location where I can set the IP address of my remote device. However, I have run into a side issue in that regard.

Yesterday, my LAN DNS assigned IP x.y.z.118 to minwinpc (my raspberry pi2 booted into IoT Core).

Today, after boot, the IP was x.y.z.119. Everytime I try to connect with VS2015 to download an app, it keeps trying to access x.y.z.118. I cannot find where to change this. When I click on remote device, it simply attemps the build and download again. I can't seem to force it to put up the remote device dialog again so the IP can be changed.

By the way, I was have trouble yesterday with authentication. To clear that up, I put a new userid on the Pi2, same as my Win10 userid, same password, and was able to get past the authentication issue (no download however).

This is turning out to be a real pain. Is there a complete set of doc for how this is all "supposed" to work?

Thanks.

kashken

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Resolved...yeah!

Well, success at last (film at 11)…
------
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'c:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0_1.0.22816.1_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe\mscorlib.ni.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\Blinky.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\System.Runtime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\WinMetadata\Windows.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.UI.Xaml.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\System.Collections.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'Blinky.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UAP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\BlinkyVS.Debug_ARM.ken\Internal.Uri.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
The program '[2328] Blinky.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
------
This was accomplished by deleting the entire copy of Blinky from my IoT folder, and bringing in a fresh copy from the distributed download archive. In that case, selecting Remote Device caused all the right things to pop up, including getting the device name, IP address, and uncheck authentication, for successful execution.

What remains to be seen is if this will continue to work if the IP address of the remote device changes the next time a DNS address is assigned.

In this process, however, some .Net software was loaded and activated, due to its not being present. As such, once that completed, the connection with the Pi2 was made, the module MSVSMON.exe was connected, the file(s) transported, and the app was put into execution. I had to hit stop (somewhere) to close the app. Here is the build message block:
-------
1>------ Build started: Project: Blinky, Configuration: Debug ARM ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1978,5): warning MSB3785: No SDKs were found. SDKReference items will not be resolved. If your application requires these references there may be compilation errors.
1> Blinky -> C:\IoT\Blinky\CS\bin\ARM\Debug\Blinky.exe
2>------ Deploy started: Project: Blinky, Configuration: Debug ARM ------
2>Creating a new clean layout...
2>Copying files: Total 16 mb to layout...
2>Checking whether required frameworks are installed...
2>Framework: Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0/ARM, app package version 1.0.22816.1 is not currently installed.
2>Installing missing frameworks...
2>Registering the application to run from layout...
2>Deployment complete (48553ms). Full package name: "Blinky_1.0.0.0_arm__n2pe7ts0w7wey"
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
========== Deploy: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
------
Previously, I had NOT seen anything ANYWHERE about .NET.CoreRuntime needing to be installed.

And, why did it take a clean copy of Blinky to get this to work. What got messed up in the copy I had been using (with x.y.z.118 as the IP)?

Well, this might be part of the issue…the problem is buried in there somewhere…

Clean Blinky folder

32 files
5 folders
62.7 KB

Blinky folder after build

266 files
99 folders
23.4 megabytes

Holy crap!

It did not run as expected. I could not click on the button to change the LED flashing interval. It appears the timing is off by some very large factor.

But, the device communicated, it connected, the app was downloaded, and it ran.

haroldpulcher

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 am

If you have the networking set to the default of DHCP, the ip address will probably change every time you boot the rpi.

You can get can set the ip address for the project by going to Project > Project Properties > Debug.

Since I don't really have a domain setup, I haven't played with setting up a name. If you do that, you should be able to specify a name so that each time the ip address it will match the name.

I am sort of curious how you managed to get the hello world working in the first pace. On the first deploy, all of the needed libraries and the such should've been installed.

kashken

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 pm

In my case, it wasn't hello world, it was the Blinky demo.

Indeed, I suspect that device name, minwinpc, should have been used, but the situation was that the IP was also included. In fact, I looked everywhere in the project to find where IP was coded but came up with nothing. Thus, restoring the unntouched Blinky folder from the samples and make a one pass build/deploy with all the correct information, got it to work.

Now, I can look at deploying my own code. That should be a real life lesson.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”