FishMan

Windows 10 Development Query

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Hello,

I have a Pi 2 set up with Windows 10 on it. I can run it and connect with it on my Win7 machine via Powershell. That's all good, but I have a few questions about where to go next.

I'm trying to set it up for development, and would like to know a little more about how to do that. All the tutorials seem to dump me after the setup and I haven't yet found anything beyond "get Visual Studio" with a vague mention about needing Windows 10 on my PC. See, the computer I'm setting it up on doesn't have admin rights, so getting software requires a request -- I'd like to avoid that.

I'd like to know the minimal amount of software I'd need to develop somewhat comfortably (I'm going to do some basic head tracking w/ OpenCV, specifics are up in the air). If it really requires Visual Studio I can get it, but getting Windows 10 for my PC is out of the question.

I'd also like to know a little about the exact process of running things on the Pi. There's no interface to speak of besides powershell's cmd (booting it leads straight to the IoT default screen, and if I can login and use it as a PC somehow I'm missing it) so it feels like I can't even use the thing without some further insight or the right setup. Any advice towards getting to that level would be much appreciated.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Windows 10 Development Query

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:19 am

This is the default page and it assumes you have VS2015RC installed on Windows 10

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot

Also there is dedicted Programming sub-forum with much info in the postings,

viewforum.php?f=105
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

FishMan

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Ok, I'll post it in there then. Thanks!
Edit: NVM you moved it. Didn't notice :P

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:28 pm

FishMan wrote:Ok, I'll post it in there then. Thanks!
Edit: NVM you moved it. Didn't notice :P
Yes all postings have a report button, so if any registered user see a post in
wrong forum or has other issues it can be flagged up to the Volunteer Moderators ;)

IoT Core is still in Beta but as more Community Users get involved it will be easier to
find differing approaches, so yes at present it will need a lot of reading.........
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

FishMan

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:09 am

I'd love a push in the right direction. I feel pretty powerless without a good way to interface with the thing. Is there really no way to access it like an OS and? Unless there's some easy way to send/execute code to it otherwise, that seems like a major shortcoming...

Anyone have some steps to take to get this thing up and running with OpenCV? As a recap for where I'm at: The thing currently boots and gives me this ever useful screen:

and I can 'login' to it as admin via Powershell - no UI, just cmd though! Finding where to go next is the hard part. The windows tuts seem like no help whatsoever and everything so far has been geared toward setting it up, which is done already.

ame

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:13 am

Have you tried visiting "windowsondevices.com" to start developing?

FishMan

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:15 am

ame wrote:Have you tried visiting "windowsondevices.com" to start developing?
Yes, it's a redirect to the IoT page which as I said, isn't very helpful.

Edit: Extrapolating on this, I guess the real problem is that it supposedly requires Win10 on the computer I'm setting it up with to do anything (see step 1 here: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SetupPC.htm) I would like to avoid this, but before I install visual studio (which requires some steps on that computer) I'd like to know if it's even going to be worthwhile to do so, or if I really do need Win10.

GerritV

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:58 am

If you have read the various post on this subforum you will already know that you can develop using VS2015RC on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. There are some things that don't work in VS2015RC without Windows 10 but nothing that prevents you from writing code and pushing it to the Pi.
Also as mentioned multiple times here, you can access using SSH as well. There isa web interface to Win IoT which also lets you perform various tasks.

You will need to read lots more, as is usual for finding knowledge :-)

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”