lucdig

Windows 10 first boot - Remote access, no monitor

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:25 am

Hello,

when I install Raspbian, at first time boot I have the possibility to connect remotely via SSH with a predefined login/password.

I do not have a monitor, so the question is: can Windows 10 be accessed remotely without a monitor at first boot?
How? SSH? Telnet? VNC?

Thanks

DougieLawson

Re: Windows 10 first boot - Remote access, no monitor

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 am

You can access a RPi running Win10 IoT from your laptop running Win10 and the powershell. That's documented in the Microsoft web pages.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ChrisBriggsy

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 am

Hi lucdig,

Yes, you can connect to the Pi running win10 without a monitor as long as you know its IP address. A network scanning app such as nmap on PC or iNet on IOS would be able to discover the Pi's IP address.

Once you find the address of the pi follow the steps outlined in the following blog post: http://blog.chrisbriggsy.com/Getting-Started-Win10-IoT/ . I wrote that post after giving the official Microsoft sample a try and finding it was incomplete.

It may also be worth reading official sample as well https://www.hackster.io/windowsiot/powe ... windows-10

Let me know how you go with connecting to the Pi!
Want to learn the basics of Windows Universal app development for devices running Windows 10 IoT Core through to how to integrate the solution with Windows Azure? than check out blog.chrisbriggsy.com/Dev-superpowers-Jumping-into-windows-internet-of-things

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 am

ChrisBriggsy wrote: Yes, you can connect to the Pi running win10 without a monitor as long as you know its IP address. A network scanning app such as nmap on PC or iNet on IOS would be able to discover the Pi's IP address.
Since the OP is using Windows then Fing is the best choice of network scanning tool.
http://www.overlooksoft.com/getfing4win

I've tested that on my Win10 VirtualBox system.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

lucdig

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 am

Thank you,

the solution seems to be using PowerShell. I have Windows 7 Enterprise and I found this page in the MS Download Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=34595

Once connected, is there a way to download and activate a VNC Server on Windows IoT?. In Raspbian I use tightvncserver.

Regards
Luca

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:55 am

lucdig wrote:Thank you,

the solution seems to be using PowerShell. I have Windows 7 Enterprise and I found this page in the MS Download Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=34595

Once connected, is there a way to download and activate a VNC Server on Windows IoT?. In Raspbian I use tightvncserver.

Regards
Luca
Win10 IoT Core is not designed to be a standalone Operating System like Win 10 Desktop, it is primarily a 'slave' device

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/w ... rShell.htm

You appear to expecting a full Operating System and IoT was created for Developers

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

GerritV

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 am

You can also use SSH, using e.g. putty

Gerrit

markrad_msft

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:45 pm

The Windows IoT Core Watcher application will also provide you with the IP address of your Win10 IoT device.
Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

shweta6

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:14 pm

I do not have monitor. I have connected RPi (with windows iot core) to my Airtel 4g router with an ethernet cable. Shouldn't it's IP address show up on the router's settings portal under 'connected devices'? The ethernet port is not blinking either. When I put Raspbian on the RPi, it gets connected and the IP is shown in the 'connected devices' and I can remote login to it. Not sure what is the issue with windows IOT. :(

haroldpulcher

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:02 pm

It is probably because Windows 10 IoT isn't fully booted.

You need to put a monitor on it and see what is happening.

MiaW

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Is it OK to post a questions to your answers? I have the same question basically, could anyone please give advice on how to set up a VNC server when running win10? I need to see the screen connected ti the Pi from my PC, not just remote control with commands using power shell. I have searched the whole day and found nothing but some references to libVNC but no examples for the raspberry Pi with win10.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:51 pm

MiaW wrote:Is it OK to post a questions to your answers? I have the same question basically, could anyone please give advice on how to set up a VNC server when running win10? I need to see the screen connected ti the Pi from my PC, not just remote control with commands using power shell. I have searched the whole day and found nothing but some references to libVNC but no examples for the raspberry Pi with win10.
As stated above, Windows 10 IoT Core does not have the capability to be a Server ;)

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot

It is not Windows 10 that is a x86 Desktop Operating System
adieu

MiaW

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 am

Well I know that Microsoft has not included a VNC sever functionality for win10 core. Thats why I need to implement the functionality in another way. What is the point of IoT devices if you cannot remotely see whats going on? So please do not tell me it is impossible. I have found other VNC servers that should be possible to port to win10 core, and I am almost sure someone have done it already.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:37 am

MiaW wrote:Well I know that Microsoft has not included a VNC sever functionality for win10 core. Thats why I need to implement the functionality in another way. What is the point of IoT devices if you cannot remotely see whats going on? So please do not tell me it is impossible. I have found other VNC servers that should be possible to port to win10 core, and I am almost sure someone have done it already.
Please report back when you have created you VNC Server Project in Windows 10 IoT Core, thank you :D
adieu

ricl

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:31 am

MiaW wrote:Well I know that Microsoft has not included a VNC sever functionality for win10 core. Thats why I need to implement the functionality in another way. What is the point of IoT devices if you cannot remotely see whats going on? So please do not tell me it is impossible. I have found other VNC servers that should be possible to port to win10 core, and I am almost sure someone have done it already.
It is not possible to create a VNC server for the Pi as there is no way to get/attach to the screen buffer. Without that capability all is lost. You might like to consider altering the GPU code to try and achieve it but that is WAY outside my (and probably most peoples) capability and even then you would have to figure out how to connect to that modified GPU.

Why bother anyway, if you wrote the code for the application on the Pi, just export the data from that directly via http or whatever rather than try to 'peek over its shoulder without permission'.

Alternatively, get an external PC and hook up an HDMI capture device to it. That would give you what you want (at some cost).
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:49 am

MiaW wrote:Are you sure? It works for Linux:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ccess/vnc/
Windows 10 IoT Core is based of Microsoft NT Kernel and has zero relationship to Raspbian (Debian) which has a Linux Kernel :(

The link you posted is TOTALLY irrelevent :shock:
adieu

MiaW

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm

OK so let me rewrite my comment. Since it is possible to run a VNC server on a RPi running Linux, I want to know how I can find a similar solution for my RPi with win10. And I still find it quite unlikely that the concept of IoT does not allow remote access with VNC for support purposes.

Or do you mean that win10 core has excluded the possibility to access the graphic memory?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:49 pm

MiaW wrote:OK so let me rewrite my comment. Since it is possible to run a VNC server on a RPi running Linux, I want to know how I can find a similar solution for my RPi with win10. And I still find it quite unlikely that the concept of IoT does not allow remote access with VNC for support purposes.

Or do you mean that win10 core has excluded the possibility to access the graphic memory?
ricl gave you the answer, instead of argueing with helpful volunteers who are unpaid go to Microsoft as it is their proprietary closed-source software and argue with them :roll:

fyi it is Windows 10 IoT Core
adieu

ricl

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:11 pm

MiaW wrote:Or do you mean that win10 core has excluded the possibility to access the graphic memory?
There appears to be no way to get at the physical address of the video memory. It is up in the system space and not reachable from the user/admin space.

I suspect that the only way to get at it is to ignore the ARM and do something on the GPU. Any GPU experts out there?
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”