Professor Huh

Limiting access to the Pi

Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi :)

Are there currently a way to password protect FTP and deployment access on the Pi?

I'm building a Win10/Pi based 3D printer, and a NAS, and I'de like for both of them to be secure. :)

Thanks.

DougieLawson

Re: Limiting access to the Pi

Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 pm

If you want FTP to be secure, simply stop using FTP. That protocol can never be secure since the password flows in cleartext.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Professor Huh

Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Good point. Thank you.

For future reference; I used PowerShell to disable the StartFtpd task with:
SchTasks /Change /TN \Microsoft\Windows\IoT\StartFtpd /Disable

markrad_msft

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Similarly, if msvsmon is not running on the device you will not be able to deploy an application to it. There are a number of other security enhancements planned but I am not currently at liberty to discuss them.
Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

GerritV

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Support for SSH in Powershell might just be that solution: https://www.petri.com/microsoft-pledges-support-for-ssh

And the original blog post from Microsoft: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/arch ... l-ssh.aspx

Gerrit

jtanner_msft

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:39 pm

Correct - Additional updates and improvements in this area will continue to be added over time. For example with the last drop accessing the WebB interface now requires credentials to log-in. The best I can say for the moment is simply to stay tuned.
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”