ric96

false advertising or light humour

Wed May 13, 2015 10:27 am

this image:

shows a pi 1 b running win 10 with overly exaggerated config screen.... What is this???
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: false advertising or light humour

Wed May 13, 2015 10:55 am

Its Microsoft WinIoT hype... that is not W10 running on the RPi.

The WinIoT core is a way for arm RPi programming to be done in a Windows 10 environment so that Microsoft can cash in on Raspberry PI success, as well the maker community IoT concept (as though they thought of it!).

Do you remember that scene from "The Wizard of OZ," ? "... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, I'm the great and powerful OZ...."

PS He needs to climb back into his balloon and return to Kansas...
marcus
:ugeek:

hanzelpeter

Wed May 13, 2015 11:29 am

Has anyone tried to run Win10 IOT on raspberry pi 1 B (512MB ram, one core).

I have Win10 Image on SD card for RPI2, but no monitor to try on my RPI 1b.

ghans

Wed May 13, 2015 11:31 am

The Raspberry Pi single-core models can't run any variant of Windows (except a crippled WinCE) because they are not ARMv7 machines.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kusti8

Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 am

ghans wrote:The Raspberry Pi single-core models can't run any variant of Windows (except a crippled WinCE) because they are not ARMv7 machines.

ghans
+1
If you look carefully at the picture, there is no video cable coming out from the pi. The only peripheral seems to be a wireless keyboard or mouse.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

BMS Doug

Wed May 13, 2015 11:50 am

kusti8 wrote:
ghans wrote:The Raspberry Pi single-core models can't run any variant of Windows (except a crippled WinCE) because they are not ARMv7 machines.

ghans
+1
If you look carefully at the picture, there is no video cable coming out from the pi. The only peripheral seems to be a wireless keyboard or mouse.
there is definitely a HDMI cable connected to the Pi, whether that goes to the pictured display adapter board is unprovable. Even if it does there is no proof that the display adapter board is actually connected to that screen.
Even given all of those unprovables, my belief is that the screen displayed is in fact connected to the pi in the image, displaying a fullscreen picture or other mockup of how win10 would be expected to work. The Pi model B in the image is obviously not capable of running Windows 10 as it isn't a Pi 2 B.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

rpdom

Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 am

kusti8 wrote:If you look carefully at the picture, there is no video cable coming out from the pi. The only peripheral seems to be a wireless keyboard or mouse.
I looked. I got someone else to look and confirm. There *is* something plugged into the HDMI output of the Pi.

Having said that, the image on the screen does look like it's been badly "shopped" on.

ame

Wed May 13, 2015 12:03 pm

rpdom wrote: I looked. I got someone else to look and confirm. There *is* something plugged into the HDMI output of the Pi.

Having said that, the image on the screen does look like it's been badly "shopped" on.
Let me guess, you can tell by the pixels? :)

BMS Doug

Wed May 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Heh, I only just noticed that the "Raspberry Pi II" pictured on the screen is laid out as a Pi model B (with big yellow aux) so this is probably concept art from before the B+ was released.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

ric96

Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 pm

1) i know the difference between win 10 and win10 iot, just wrote it that way because at this point if we are talking about win 10 on pi its understood.

2) their IS a hdmi cable

3) well, according to me this picture clearly depicts how much in a hurry Microsoft was to get the win 10 hype train going , that they person responsible for this page actually aprooved this pic.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

mimi123

Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 pm

ric96 wrote:1) i know the difference between win 10 and win10 iot, just wrote it that way because at this point if we are talking about win 10 on pi its understood.

2) their IS a hdmi cable

3) well, according to me this picture clearly depicts how much in a hurry Microsoft was to get the win 10 hype train going , that they person responsible for this page actually aprooved this pic.
I first thought that it was vaporware, until it shipped :lol:

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed May 13, 2015 2:09 pm

mimi123 wrote: I first thought that it was vaporware, until it shipped :lol:
Me too. I thought it was a big fat false-hood. But no, its another 'real' example of "embrace," "extend," and "extinquish"... :shock:

nah, we won't let it happen...
marcus
:ugeek:

Heater

Wed May 13, 2015 3:12 pm

MarkHaysHarris777,

I say old man, be careful. I was banned from here for half a week for saying such things about MS.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Heater wrote:MarkHaysHarris777,

I say old man, be careful. I was banned from here for half a week for saying such things about MS.
No you weren't. The reasons were much more complicated and cumulative than that.

That said, any sort of bashing is frowned upon, because it is so unnecessary, and not really suitable for a educational forum.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

GerritV

Wed May 13, 2015 7:50 pm

jamesh wrote: That said, any sort of bashing is frowned upon, because it is so unnecessary, and not really suitable for a educational forum.
But it is useful for employers to see how potential employees behave in the face of something different being presented to them. E.g. can they read and comprehend, do they make 'interesting' assumptions from a partial photograph etc. In the absence of facts, people make up fascinating scenarios.

Personally were I still in a position to hire people (thankfully retired after 42+ years in the computer field) there would be a growing list of behaviour scenarios to query a hire about just from observing the WinIoT section of this forum. Closed minds do not make for productive long term employees in my experience :-(

Gerrit

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”