jonesypeter

Setting up Visual Studio 2015 Preview

Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Hello,

I have managed to get Windows 10 on my Pi running OK, and have installed Visual Studio 2015 RC on my Windows 10 Laptop (I selected Custom and clicked Windows 10 SDK).

I'm following the instructions here:

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupPC.htm

I have installed 'WindowsDeveloperProgramForIoT.msi' and it completes successfully.

My problem is that when I try and run an application through Visual Studio (Just the Blinky Example) I get a message that I need to enable developer mode.

My Pi is connected via Ethernet to the router, and my laptop is connected via Wireless to the same network. I managed to connect to the Pi via PowerShell.

How do I actually see that Windows IoT Core Watcher application is running, as I can see no indication that it is.

DougieLawson

Re: Setting up Visual Studio 2015 Preview

Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 pm

jonesypeter wrote:H

My problem is that when I try and run an application through Visual Studio (Just the Blinky Example) I get a message that I need to enable developer mode.
You missed a trick. There was a link to this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/wind ... 06236.aspx from the Visual Studio installation instructions (although it was carefully hidden).
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jonesypeter

Mon May 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for this extra link. Where was the original link posted, as I can not see it on an of the Windows IoT Pages.

I have gone through the steps indicated:

Use gpedit to enable your device
Open a cmd prompt with administrator privileges.
Run Gpedit.msc.
Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment
Edit the policies to enable the following.

I clicked the Enabled Button, saved and rebooted.

I then tried re-installing the app, and it does not seem to launch when the application has finished installing. Have I missed something?

Thanks for you help.

DougieLawson

Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/downloads ... tudio-2015 has a link from
  • You must unlock Windows 10 to develop Windows apps. For more information, see the developer unlock guide.
I got there from https://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupPC.htm
  • Install Visual Studio 2015 Preview from here. Choose the Custom option when you kick off the installer, and then check the option to install the Windows 10 tools.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jtanner_msft

Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 pm

If you continue to have a problem here is another work-around:
Issue
Workaround (if applicable)

Creating a UAP prompts you to developer unlock your computer by going to Settings -> For Developer -> Developer Mode, but clicking on that setting crashes settings
1. Run Gpedit.msc
2. Under: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment
1. Allow all trusted apps to install (will enable sideloading of trust signed apps such as for enterprise apps)
2. Allow development of Windows Store apps without installing a developer license (will enable developer F5 mode installs like the dev license would on win8.1)
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

jonesypeter

Wed May 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for the extra tips. This worked for me. Thank you.

MattRichardson
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu May 07, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks all around.

This post was very helpful to me in order to get things running. That step is easy to miss because the download link from that page navigates you away from a sub-set of instructions you need to return to. I submitted a pull request to update the Windows 10 IoT Core PC setup instructions to reiterate this required step and it was accepted: https://github.com/ms-iot/content/pull/243/files Having a single series of instructions will help make the installation process easier.

jonesypeter

Thu May 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks Matt,

That is a great addition to making the instructions clearer.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”