tohipfortheroom

How to install without updating to windows 10

Fri May 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I made a video tutorial for how to flash the ffu file without updating to windows 10, also works on windows 10 machines, sorry for the quality of the video.

download the Windows ADK RC for Windows 10 its at the bottom of the page
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... 13721.aspx

Video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Kse5h ... outu.be&ac

DougieLawson

Re: How to install without updating to windows 10

Fri May 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Too late. I've just got Win10 running in a Oracle Virtualbox.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

tohipfortheroom

Fri May 01, 2015 5:29 pm

can you access the sd card from a virtual machine?

DougieLawson

Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:can you access the sd card from a virtual machine?
I can attach USB devices to the VM so I'm assuming that's possible. I just have to find that unused 16GB SDCard that's in my collection somewhere.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

tohipfortheroom

Fri May 01, 2015 6:02 pm

I remember reading somewhere that you cant use a sd card in a virtual machine, maybe they've updated it so you can

jtanner_msft

Fri May 01, 2015 10:25 pm

If you're running it as a VM inside another OS, then you might not have access to the SD card port in the way you need to properly write the image out. One user did create an install of Win 10 Preview into a VHD, then booted his system from that VHD and I believe he was able to get the image onto the SD card there without issue:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

kusti8

Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 pm

jtanner_msft wrote:If you're running it as a VM inside another OS, then you might not have access to the SD card port in the way you need to properly write the image out. One user did create an install of Win 10 Preview into a VHD, then booted his system from that VHD and I believe he was able to get the image onto the SD card there without issue:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT

Yes, there is a thread here, i forget where, discussing this with a step by step tutorial linked on how to do it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

betocerda

Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 pm

You can install Windows 10 ADK Technical Preview to get the most recent version of DISM running in Windows 8.1 for example. I did this and I was able to flash the image without no problem.

RudyB

Sun May 03, 2015 6:08 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:I made a video tutorial for how to flash the ffu file without updating to windows 10, also works on windows 10 machines, sorry for the quality of the video.

download the Windows ADK RC for Windows 10 its at the bottom of the page
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... 13721.aspx

Video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Kse5h ... outu.be&ac

Thanks tohipfortheroom, worked like a charm ;)
Very easy and straight forward flashing the SD card.

rpurser

Sun May 03, 2015 11:31 pm

I was able to install Windows 10 on a VMWare Player, attach the SD card reader to the VM, and then follow the instructions to flash the SD card for the Raspberry Pi, and booted Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi from the flashcard.

-Rob

pukkapie

Thu May 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi all i have posted the same query on another post,

Have been trying to get win 10 on pi2 with no success imaging an 8gb card at present and seem to keep seeing error below using various versions of dsim and ideas please ( ps tested with 8.1 and vm win 10 machine using what seemed to be the latest dsim.exe )

C:\Windows\system32>dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:flash.ffu /ApplyDrive:\\.\PhysicalDrive1 /SkipPlatformCheck

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.9926.0

Error: 87

The /applydrive option is not recognized in this context.

tried the dev tools / afk download on win 8.1 and using win 10 iso as mentioned, also using a win 10 build machine ... any ideas folks ?

jtanner_msft

Fri May 08, 2015 12:16 am

Error 87 means that the version of DISM your trying to run doesn't understand the command. If you've downloaded the newest ADK and you are still seeing that error it could be you need to explicitly path to the newest version of DISM which was installed with the ADK.

From the FAQ:
I’ve downloaded the RPi2.ffu image and tried to apply image from the administrator prompt using this command:
dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Rpi2.ffu /ApplyDrive:\\.\PhysicalDrive1 /SkipPlatformCheck
I am getting the following error:
c:\Temp>dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Rpi2.ffu /ApplyDrive:\\.\PhysicalDrive1 /SkipPlatformCheck

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Error: 87

The /applydrive option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

You need to use DISM on Windows 10 and not Windows 8.1. (Or the latest ADK)
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

pukkapie

Fri May 08, 2015 11:12 am

Hi thanks for the reply, but am using dism Version: 10.0.9926.0 with the same error.
Am trying to update win 10 with latest adk kit and will see if corrects issue, but assumed the dism ver in win 10 would be correct :/

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.9926] although was the first release available unless there have been any updates which are not in this version.

Many thanks,

GerritV

Sat May 09, 2015 4:14 pm

You need to read what has been stated in several threads, 9926 is NOT the correct nor latest version! There are several other threads here which detail the steps to take for doing this on Window 8 machines. Look them up and follow those instructions.

you do not need a Windows 10 machine, physical or virtual.
pukkapie wrote:Hi thanks for the reply, but am using dism Version: 10.0.9926.0 with the same error.
Am trying to update win 10 with latest adk kit and will see if corrects issue, but assumed the dism ver in win 10 would be correct :/

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.9926] although was the first release available unless there have been any updates which are not in this version.

Many thanks,

pukkapie

Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi again,

Just to mention have managed to install the win iot on card and boots.

In the end used a vm of win 10 passing the usb reader hardware to the vm, downloaded the ADK then using the deployment tool managed to copy/populate the flash disk ...
Have not tested with the command line dism as yet but will check.
Unsure if you can pop an image of the base install so it can be used in the normal fashion .img file or if ms does not allow ???

Will update when testing the command line again.
really no idea why dism v 10 would not allow to write to disk via win 10 though :(

Possibly gemlins in my win 8 machine for some reason as dism v 10 would not work either :(
Many thanks,

GerritV

Sun May 10, 2015 3:11 pm

pukkapie wrote:Hi again,

Possibly gemlins in my win 8 machine for some reason as dism v 10 would not work either :(
Many thanks,
If you were using the correct version of dism (10075) then it would have worked there as well. Take it from the latest version of ADK or from your Win 10 install img.

HyperV does not allow access to physical devices such as USB by design. VirtualBox does allow it.

Success is determined by reading and following details :-)

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”