jrcs111

Console and UI?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Raspberry Pi and Windows 10 IoT programming.

I need to control GPIO in c++... on a console application. How can I do that? I've been looking for tutorials everywhere but I couldn't find any information. I see a lot of samples in C# but I can barelly write code in C++.. C# it's foreign.

What I'm trying to do is to read some DIs state and then record the state's change (with information about time and date that change occoured) to a file but I'm stuck on the first step.

Can somebody help me? I would be great if someone could recommend me a place to read and learn about IoT + C++ on raspberry.

Thanks

scotty101

Re: Console and UI?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 am

Are you particularly tied to using Window IoT and C++?

Things are much simpler if you use Raspbian and follow one of the many GPIO pin examples for languages such as python.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

jahboater

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 am

+1
In fact with Raspbian, there is great GPIO support in many languages, even the shell.
But Python, C, or C++ are an obvious choice.

jrcs111

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.
I'm tied to C++ because I only know C (from arduino and pic). Therefore, C++ it's a (big to me) "next step" to program and understand.

For know, I can work with a console app to read the ports.. but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Yesterday I started to learn C# on a online course from microsoft. Is learning C# worth it for this project? I didn't thought that working with gpios was this way out of my league...

About Raspbian... I'm completely blind about it. Need to search and learn. I'll take a look.

Regards

jahboater

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:55 pm

jrcs111 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 pm
I'm tied to C++ because I only know C (from arduino and pic). Therefore, C++ it's a (big to me) "next step" to program and understand.
Then program the GPIO in C !!!
There is no need at all to learn C++ (though you can if you wish), and definitely no need to learn C# (bizarre idea). You are just complicating things for no reason at all. Keep it simple :)

The main libraries (included as standard in Raspbian) can be accessed from C (and are probably written in C). For example pigpio http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/.

The included compiler GCC fully supports C11 and C++14 (and the draft C++17 for that matter).
About Raspbian... I'm completely blind about it. Need to search and learn. I'll take a look.
If the Raspbian is new and difficult for you, stick with what you know (C) and just learn the Linux side of things and enjoy!

jrcs111

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am

Hi jahboater,

Thanks for you answer. Sorry about the delay but I've been afected bu the wild fire in Portugal.

Can I program C in Visual Studio (on my laptop) an then deploy the app to the pi? Or do I have to /should program the pi in the linux, directly in the pi?

Sorry about this mess in my head but programming (and "piying" :P ) it's really not my field :oops:

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:48 am

jrcs111 wrote:
Hi jahboater,

Thanks for you answer. Sorry about the delay but I've been afected bu the wild fire in Portugal.

Can I program C in Visual Studio (on my laptop) an then deploy the app to the pi? Or do I have to /should program the pi in the linux, directly in the pi?

Sorry about this mess in my head but programming (and "piying" :P ) it's really not my field :oops:

Maybe Microsoft's Windows 10 IoT Core Website contains everything you need to know ???

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

jahboater

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

jrcs111 wrote:
Sorry to hear this. Hope you are OK.

Do you specifically want to use Windows IoT? Or do you just want to program something on the Pi - and you are familiar with Windows, so Windows IoT seemed a good idea? If you need Windows IoT for a particular purpose, then see the link in the previous post by @fruitoftheloom.
jrcs111 wrote:
You can do either, however it is usually far simpler and easier to program directly on the Pi than attempt to setup cross compiling (IMHO).

I suggest, get an SD card, put Raspbian on it with etcher, boot it up and play with some of the languages that come ready installed - Python, C, C++. You will learn lots and have fun!

jrcs111

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi,

So, I've installed raspbian and managed to program somethings in C with CodeBlocks 8-)

I wish I could use Geany but I couldn't execute the programs.. even the simplest "Hello World" :oops: it opens a cmd windows the shows nothing and says at the top, in the window title, something about "geany script". Even googled the problem but nothing helped me. :| Codeblocks needs to be opened as sudo user and it crashes one in a while..

Other than that, I'm making some progress. I can manipulate the GPIO and write to a .txt file when - date and time - some input gets it's state changed. Next step is getting that .txt file copied to a usb drive automatically when inserted. Can I do it in C/C++? I'm guessing it would be better so I can fclose the file, copy it to the usb drive and then reopen it to continue writing the events.

Any help would be apreciated
Regards

hbelton

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm

VisualStudio is the tool of choice for IoT development. it supports C/C++ as well as C#. Additional extensions are also available

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”