dusini

Accelerometer full scale range, SpaceLab Mission

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:46 am

Hi,

I am following some students that are trying to measure the gravitational acceleration on the ISS.

What are the setting used on the AstroPI-Ed regarding the accelerometer full scale range ?
Is the LSM9DS1 chip is set to have +-2g full scale rage, or it is set like in the one distributed with +-8g full scale range?

Is it possible to change this parameter on the AstroPi-Ed on the ISS modifying the file ~/.config/sense_hat/RTIMULib.ini ?

Thanks a lot
Stefano

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Accelerometer full scale range, SpaceLab Mission

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Stefano

I'm afraid you can't change the flight copy of RTIMULib.ini , the full data sheet for that sensor can be found here. Link is also on the Space Lab FAQ page.

The data sheet says it can do up to +-16 G.

I hope this helps.

Dave

dusini

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for the prompt replay. I would like to suggest ESA to change this setting. Maybe with +-2g full scale it would be possible to "sniff" the micro-gravity environment on the ISS .

Thanks a lot
Stefano

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am

Ah I see what you mean. The numbers you get do have quite a bit of decimal accuracy so it might still be possible as is.
During Tim Peake's flight in 2016 we did some long term data logging in multiple locations of the ISS.

Looking at the accelerometer measurements from this is a useful way to characterise the kinds of values you can expect to see;
They can be downloaded from here: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... analysis/6

You should be able to detect ISS reboosts in the accelerometer data.

Return to “Astro Pi”