jhansx

American "astro Pi"

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:27 pm

WHAT do we do to get an American version of Astro Pi going?

Given the pathetic state of STEM in the US, it seems logical to "gadgetize" the effort by including a US based program similar to Astro Pi, a laudable if not European (Brexit, not withstanding) program. In an effort to appeal to a younger audience and the cost and availability of RPI technology could facilitate that.

Is there an American version of the Astro Pi program and how do I contact them? If not, to whom do I speak to launch such an initiative?
'73'
KG7TXI
Jeff

Davespice
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: American Pi

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi Jeff

Many thanks for asking this. Doing Astro Pi with NASA is something we would absolutely love to do. There is the possibility of ESA promoting Astro Pi to all members of the ISEB (International Space Education Board) of which NASA is a founding member, but I am not sure the status of that currently.

I also notice you're a HAM, same here (M6DNT). We have also undertaken a collaboration with ARISS who intend to fly another Astro Pi unit to the ISS to become part of the HAM TV rig. The has potential for a whole new kind of ARISS school contact where they could run student code on the ISS during the live contact with the crew.

Sorry I don't have anything more concrete than this, but watch this space! :D

Dave

jhansx

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Well I know the NASA outreach guy for Utah and I don't even know if they have one for Wyoming but the SLAS (Salt Lake Astronomical Society) has connections and a few noted lecturers as well as the Utah NASA guy. My lifelong friend is the president and the club has resources. Also, the program at Utah State University in Logan, Ut is an active NASA flight hardware partner.
NASA need a shot in the arm now that the political climate here in the colonies has changed to Xenophobic isolationism. He doesn't want to interface with Mexico and Canada, I can just imagine the response when he gets asked for "Space $$".
The way to any politician is through his constituency, that is absolute. NASA outreach could build hard on the rising of the "STEM-tide" caused by an attractor like the RPI. If the foundation would bring some hardware to the table, I foresee the possibilities as endlessly exciting.
One channel that might have sufficient through put is that the program would stimulate "Natives" to become involved in STEM.
I need to know who started the Astro PI and how they got the wedge in the crack to begin with.
I can sell an Eskimo Ice and this has benefits that go beyond even the horizon of my mind. I have had more photons from more galaxies fall on my retinas than anyone but one guy, the aforementioned pres of the SLAS, so my horizons are pretty expansive.
Lets begin the effort and start a quest to make this happen.
I will make inquiries into the current state of NASA's interest and involvement,
Having "MD" behind my name buys a touch of credibility and I might be able to get my nose in the door.
Tell me what you think.
US 3073500199
KG7TXI
Jeff

Elfen

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm throwing my hat into this Ring, and am building my first Astro Pi (waiting for an friend to 3D print a case for me). But here in NYC, there is very little in the R-Pi and Maker education, and the Astro Pi with NASA would be beneficial for us here.

Anything i can do, ask and lets see if I can do it from this end.

kn4ud

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 pm

I am interested in this also. So I am throwing my hat in too.
Allen

Davespice

Re: American "astro Pi"

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am

Hi folks, we would really love to work with NASA on this but it's been quite hard to raise their interest in the project.
What will definitely help is if they receive multiple enquiries from different people on the subject.

You can try emailing the education contacts which you can get to through this page:
https://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/contacts/

I would probably pick Brenden Sanborn under Informal education.

Many thanks!

Return to “Astro Pi”