Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Browser based Sense HAT Emulator open beta this weekend!

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:15 pm

A web-based emulator of the Sense HAT is now in beta and ready for you all to get your hands on.

In partnership with US-based startup Trinket, the emulator has been created to allow everybody the chance to programme with the Sense HAT, increasing educational opportunities AND future interaction with Astro Pi, our two Raspberry Pi units currently sat aboard the International Space Station.

The emulator offers access to a vast library of features, including environmental controls, full Python syntax highlighting, social media integration, and project download to a physical Raspberry Pi.

This weekend, we’re offering you all the chance to access the beta for the emulator, and ask for your help in return by logging any bugs you discover within the build. A link is provided below, allowing you the means to report anything you find… though we’re hoping you don’t find anything!

Emulator: https://trinket.io/early-access-open-beta

Bug reporting: https://github.com/astro-pi/beta-testing/issues

alphanumeric

Re: Browser based Sense HAT Emulator open beta this weekend!

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 pm

In IE the image of the sense hat is half hidden. I can only see the bottom half of it. IE locked up eventually too and I had to use task manager to close it. I was really wanting to test some new code on it too. I have to redo my joystick code. Would have been nice to test it on the emulator first before redoing my SD Card.
Should be cool though once the bugs are worked out. It could end up being a nice "try before you buy" type of deal and lead to more sales, and more interest in the sense hat.

scotty101

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:58 pm

alphanumeric wrote:In IE the image of the sense hat is half hidden. I can only see the bottom half of it. IE locked up eventually too
Simple fix. Use Chrome or Firefox.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

alphanumeric

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I'm not using a different browser just for one web site.

bensimmo

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:48 pm

scotty101 wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:In IE the image of the sense hat is half hidden. I can only see the bottom half of it. IE locked up eventually too
Simple fix. Use Chrome or Firefox.
Many schools wouldn't be able to.
They'll be using IE or Edge.

But neither should they need to use another one.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:28 am

alphanumeric wrote:In IE the image of the sense hat is half hidden. I can only see the bottom half of it. IE locked up eventually too and I had to use task manager to close it. I was really wanting to test some new code on it too. I have to redo my joystick code. Would have been nice to test it on the emulator first before redoing my SD Card.
Should be cool though once the bugs are worked out. It could end up being a nice "try before you buy" type of deal and lead to more sales, and more interest in the sense hat.
Hi alphanumeric, which version of IE are you using? Is it Edge or an earlier one? It would help a lot if you could find some steps to reproduce the issue and report it on here (with screen shots): https://github.com/astro-pi/beta-testing/issues

Many thanks

alphanumeric

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:41 am

IE 11 version 11.51.14393.0, not EDGE. Windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.51). I do believe my issue has already been reported.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 am

Oh? What issue number is it? I can't see it on there, unless it's closed and we need to reopen it.

alphanumeric

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:07 pm

I saw a comment early on of the exact same issue I had, being reported.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/sense-hat-emulator/ You'll have to scroll down the page to see the comment.

Done! (I’ve also mentioned the fact that, although the emulator does run in IE11 on that laptop, the SenseHAT graphic is shrunken and shifted half-way under the top side of the embed window. I included a screen shot of that).

I don't have a user account on gethub so I can't report it without creating one. I'm not sure I want to do that just to make one post there?

Return to “Astro Pi”