wwihead

Best Ribbon Cable for Sense Hat?

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:15 am

Hi everyone

Is there a best 40 pin ribbon cable to get as I want to try separating the Sense Hat to get a more accurate temperature reading. Also, do I need anything more to get the connection working?

Thanks so much

Kratos

Re: Best Ribbon Cable for Sense Hat?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:26 pm

As long as it is a ribbon cable, it should work.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:22 am

Actually no! If its an old PATA cable it can cause big troubles, they look like 40 pole flat cables but actually they carry 80 wires, more info here viewtopic.php?p=665572#p665572

using one may blow up your PI! :oops: :(

geppetto

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:09 am

I've just ordered one of these for the same purpose

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/black-hat-hacker

Phil

Kratos

Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:11 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Actually no! If its an old PATA cable it can cause big troubles, they look like 40 pole flat cables but actually they carry 80 wires, more info here viewtopic.php?p=665572#p665572

using one may blow up your PI! :oops: :(
I almost did that. Fortunately I realized it was a PATA cable before I plugged it in.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

alphanumeric

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 pm

You can get tall stacking headers at places like Adafruit. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1979 It's what I'm going to try. Just plug it in between the Pi and sense hat. I have one on the way. I should have it in my hands by weeks end hopefully. I made a weather clock with my sense hat so I want good readings of the ambient temp. Right now I'm not getting that. The heat from the CPU is pushing my temp reading up to 30 C.

The old 40 wire, 40 pin IDE cables should work. You will also need a double row of long header pins. The Pi in male pins but the sense hat is a female header. The new 80 wire, 40 pin IDE cables are the ones to avoid. A couple of wires/pins are grounded/shorted for drive select.

sparkie1

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the Sense HAT working with a GPIO extension cable? I bought an extension from Pimoroni, and a 40 pin male-male IDE header from eBay. The HAT works perfectly on my B+ when plugged straight in. Using the extension cable, only the green and red LEDs light up and the pi refuses to boot. Reversing the orientation of the cable leads to no LEDs and no boot, so I think I'm the right way around.

The only problem I can think of is that the IDE header pins are too short, and are not making a good contact with the HAT's contacts. Is this a possibility? If so, does anyone know where I can get a set of longer pins?

Thanks
Rob

alphanumeric

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:11 pm

sparkie1 wrote:Hi

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the Sense HAT working with a GPIO extension cable? I bought an extension from Pimoroni, and a 40 pin male-male IDE header from eBay. The HAT works perfectly on my B+ when plugged straight in. Using the extension cable, only the green and red LEDs light up and the pi refuses to boot. Reversing the orientation of the cable leads to no LEDs and no boot, so I think I'm the right way around.

The only problem I can think of is that the IDE header pins are too short, and are not making a good contact with the HAT's contacts. Is this a possibility? If so, does anyone know where I can get a set of longer pins?

Thanks
Rob
You have to make sure pin 1 on the GPIO is connected to pin 1 on the sense hat. The red strip isn't the only thing to go by either. I bet yours is reversed. Pin 1 is going to Pin 2 and Pin 2 to Pin 1, etc. I "think it needs to be plugged into the sense hat from the top? Checking the +5V and +3.3V voltages on the sense hat header with an volt meter should tell you.

sparkie1

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:16 am

Hi, thanks for the advice alphanumeric, you were correct.

For anyone having the same problem (partial lighting up of sensehat with red and green LEDs only, no successful boot) then it is likely that the ribbon cable has reversed the top and bottom layer of pins.

The solution, which was not immediately obvious to me, is that you can take the female header off the bottom of the SenseHat. The frees you up to insert the cable from the top side of the hat.
Attachments
DSC_0143.JPG
Ribbon cable inserted from the top by removing the hat header
DSC_0143.JPG (49.62 KiB) Viewed 4318 times

kairi

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 pm

I had exactly the same problem and got it fixed, thank you a lot for the solution @sparkie1 ;) !

Return to “Astro Pi”