Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Apollo Soyuz Demo

Wed May 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi folks
Those of you who didn't get a kit but did get a HAT on it's own may not have seen this demo because you didn't get a pre-installed SD card.
It's really good for getting to grips with what IMU sensor is for.

It basically loads up a low poly 3D model of this 1970s spacecraft (ask your grandparents if they remember watching this thing launch):
You can then make it move (pitch, roll and yaw) by moving the Astro Pi in your hand, the input is coming from the IMU sensor.

Go here to download and run it:
https://github.com/astro-pi/apollo-soyu ... /README.md

DougieLawson

Re: Apollo Soyuz Demo

Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Davespice wrote:(ask your grandparents [sic] if they remember watching this thing launch):
Some of us 50+ folks aren't grandparents yet. I remember all the Apollo missions, Skylab and the Apollo/Soyuz linkup and Mir.

One of my Raspberry Pis (the one with the xxx.xxx.xxx.11 address on my network) is called Apollo (it's Apollo 11 (aka Columbia)). My RPi2B is called Eagle (when I bought it and the postie delivered it, then the "Eagle had landed").
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Most impressive thing I have ever seen - the Saturn 5 rocket in the museum at the Cape. Mind blowing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

DougieLawson

Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 pm

jamesh wrote:Most impressive thing I have ever seen - the Saturn 5 rocket in the museum at the Cape. Mind blowing.
That one would have been Apollo 18 if the program hadn't been cancelled.

First time we saw it, it was lying abandoned in the parking lot. Last year when we went back they'd built an exhibition center round it and added a bit of the mobile service structure. That new exhibition is truly astounding.

The IBM IMS database system (Data Language/I) that I've spent 33 years working with was used by Rockwell and NASA for the Apollo program parts inventory, I met Vern Watts from IBM Silicon Valley who was directly involved with IMS/DL/I and the space program a few times before he died.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

theirry

Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:01 am

The demo is awesome, my dad was invited by nasa a couple of months ago and when he was there he saw the saturn V.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Well... I am a grandfather and I not only remember Apollo-Soyuz and Apollo 11, but I took pictures off the TV of braodcast from the surface of the Moon. (Argus C3, High-speed Ektachrome Type B, ASA 125, using a ground glass back to line everything up beforehand.)

Now for the real mind blower..I actually met R. H. Goddard's widow when she was in Roswell, NM to open the Goddard wing of the local museum.

brucepi

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:46 am

HI,
How can I change the original Picture ? and use a custom picture instead in the simulator?

Return to “Astro Pi”