topshed
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Best case for Astro-Pi

Tue May 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Anyone got suggestions for a good case that will take the Pi & Astro-Pi board?

Unless I'm being really dense, the case supplied with the Astro-Pi kit doesn't fit the Pi when the HAT is fully installed with the support pillars. I've tried the cases from the Pi 3rd birthday party, Pibow and Pibow coupe but none will fit without snapping or sanding bits off...
--
Richard Hayler - Citizen Science Programme Manager

W. H. Heydt

Re: Best case for Astro-Pi

Tue May 19, 2015 10:19 pm

This one: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16354 ought to work. As should this one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/2253 (the lids are sold separately). Both cases come in a variety of colors.

I know of another case that fits the HAT really nicely, but it's not on the market yet.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 19, 2015 10:21 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I know of another case that fits the HAT really nicely, but it's not on the market yet.
What this one? :lol:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/astro-pi-flight-case/

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 20, 2015 12:47 am

Davespice wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:I know of another case that fits the HAT really nicely, but it's not on the market yet.
What this one? :lol:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/astro-pi-flight-case/
I *did* say "...yet". Since that one will never be on the market, no, it isn't the one I had in mind. (According to Liz--and with my top-of-the-head currency translation--that one costs $16,000....each.)

DougieLawson

Wed May 20, 2015 10:14 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:(According to Liz--and with my top-of-the-head currency translation--that one costs $16,000....each.)
You do get a very pretty case for £10,000.

http://xe.com is the way to convert Pounds to Dollars or Euros (or even Zambian Kwacha).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

ben_nuttall

Mon May 25, 2015 8:12 am

I use the official Raspberry Pi case - which just about fits with mounting screws - or do you have a higher header?

I was thinking of trying to build a custom Pibow to go around it all, with a diffuser layer over the LEDs and access to the sensors and joystick.
Former RPF staff. Author of gpiozero and creator of piwheels.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:34 am

Now that it has been officially released for sale...the case I was alluding to previously is the Official Raspberry Pi case.

There was a Pi with an AstroPi HAT in an official case at the Maker Faire (San Mateo, CA) last month. Looks really good, fits very nicely. All you have to do is leave the top off, though I dare say that if you are transporting such a rig, putting the lid on, as a protective measure, would work be a slick trick.

topshed

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:55 am

Perhaps they've changed the dimensions from the ones given out at the Raspberry Pi 3rd birthday party, but I can't my Pi + AstroPi to fit inside one of the official cases. In fact - completely contradicting what I said in my original post - I've found that the best case is the one that shipped with the AstroPi kits. If you're prepared to take a pair of pliers to the little tabs and pokey bits inside the case, it's not a bad fit!
--
Richard Hayler - Citizen Science Programme Manager

Prutsky

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm supprised de Pibow coupe won't fit. I thought this case was designed so that a HAT can be used...

smnbldwn

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Has anyone got anywhere with this. I have now bought a gorgeous Motorola Lapdock so am going mobile and I don't want to take my astropi/sensehat off all the time. Thank you in advance...

mikev1963

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Im looking for a case that can be outside with the HAT and a camera mounted.

Any cases available that fit those requirments?

Mikie

Return to “Astro Pi”