theirry

make astro pi use more cpu?

Sat May 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi,

I have been a fan of the raspberry pi for years, ever since I was 9 infact, and now I have managed to win in the astro pi contest and get a free astro pi kit! I have an old model b pi that I used (and still do) to use and it tended to use a good amount of cpu if there were any resource hungry software. With the newer model for the contest I might want to be able to use most of the cpu because although it is being used, when it comes to rescource hungry projects it ends up using 20-30% of the cpu. and it ends up being a tad bit laggy. atm I might try to use the task manager just in case you can change the priority like I usually do on my linux laptop. If there is a way, it would help a lot because although it may not be necessary with the coding (although it would run a bit faster) it would be good to try speed things up without having to do any dangerous overclocking (which I will not do since it is not the best way to keep your pi undamaged).

Thanks,

Thierry

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: make astro pi use more cpu?

Sat May 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi Thierry
Well Tim Peake will be flying to the ISS with a Model B+ which has the same processor and memory as your old Model B.
So if you're concerned that you might write an Astro Pi program on a Pi 2 that might run too slowly on a Pi 1 then the best course of action is just to test it. You can use the Astro Pi HAT on an old Model B using this bodge: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=109521

So you can be sure that if your code runs well on your old Model B then it will be fine on the B+ too.

Dave

theirry

Sun May 17, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks for the reply, I will make sure It doesnt use too much cpu or ram.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 am

theirry wrote: I might try to use the task manager just in case you can change the priority like I usually do on my linux laptop. If there is a way . . .
sudo apt-get install htop

Your can change the (NI) niceness of the process with htop: use f8+ and f7-

To use f7- you will have to run htop with sudo. From htop your can also kill a process. Be sure to play around with f2 setup. There are some cool things you can do with htop... see threads in a tree view, show threads in a different color, show the clock, etc.

have fun
marcus
:ugeek:

theirry

Sun May 17, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks!

Return to “Astro Pi”