klara31

SenseHAT compatible with Pi4?

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:36 pm

I can't find the documentation anywhere, but is the SenseHAT 1:1 compatible with the Pi4?

Little background: I am working with a Pi3B+ with senseHAT, which works OK. But if I move the SenseHAT and the SD to a Pi4, its not booting anymore...

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: SenseHAT compatible with Pi4?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:18 am

Is a display plugged in? If not, you need to force HDMI on in config.txt.

imrehg

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm curious, why is that setting required? Since without the Sense HAT the device boots up just fine, but with the HAT it stalls, what sort of check is failing that

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
is required to, it seems, unblock the device? Just trying to understand how things are interrelated.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Since the new graphics stack doesn't create a framebuffer if no display is plugged in, the sense hat comes up as fb0. Fbcon sees that and tries to draw to it. Due to a bug in the driver that I need to look into, it causes a kernel panic.

I haven't found a way to tell fbcon not to use a given device, but I should be able to prevent the kernel panic at least. It's possible you'll get junk on the led matrix after that, so there's another issue even when the kernel panic is resolved.

imrehg

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Ah, makes a lot more sense now! Weird that on devices before Pi4 this wasn't required, to the best of my knowledge. Would love to hear if there's any other solution, that is better, based on what you mentioned.

czupekczupekczupek

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:37 pm

So Sense HAT is compatible with Pi4 or not?

lazydaemon29

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:49 pm

After attaching SenseHAT, raspberry pi 4 not booting up via ethernet... No lights on ethernet port, no green flashes... suggest

math13net

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Hello,

So now I have my new rasp 4, I believe I should NOT buy a sense hat for it ?

What else can I buy that can fit ?

Thx CV

alphanumeric

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Any other previous Pi model should work right out of the box with a Sense Hat. 3B+, 3A+ etc. My two Sense Hats are running on older Pi A+'s. Both are headless setups with no keyboard, mouse or monitor attached. I will likely upgarde one of them to a 3A+ at some point.

If you are looking for an alternative to the Sense Hat, the Pimoroni Enviro+ comes to mind. I don't presently own one and can't comment on how well it does or doesn't work. I have been thinking of buying one though. They are a bit pricy compared to a Sense Hat though.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/env ... 658457171

At some point I would expect the current glitch to be fixed and the Sense Hat to work with a Pi 4. The heat given off by the Pi 4 may be an issue though as its going to affect the temperature reading on the Sense Hat. My Pi A+'s caused my temperature readings to be artificially high.

Return to “Astro Pi”